Arch-Based Antergos Linux Distribution Calls It Quits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

I won't run Arch itself again unless they remove systemd.
    Yeah OpenRC is good.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

why not use manjaro, im pretty happy with it
      I believe Manjaro packages lag like 6 weeks behind Arch. Imho, that defeats the purpose, 6 weeks is a quarter of release for Ubuntu.

Comment

So never.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Really.... It has ZFS on root? Why is not a thing? Boot Environments are great. (Specially with an unstable thing like Arch)
          Run the installer from the command line with --help and you'll find it. It used to be readily available and then it wasn't. /boot required a different partition or drive like most ZFS on root setups. It was two years ago the last time I did that so it may have changed. I switched to Manjaro from that after a systemd update broke my system.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I believe Manjaro packages lag like 6 weeks behind Arch. Imho, that defeats the purpose, 6 weeks is a quarter of release for Ubuntu.
            use the testing or unstable branches, i use the testing one

Comment

I won't run anything which uses 'systemd'.

If someone asks for help because their Linux box is acting 'flakey', the first thing I ask is "What distribution are you using?" If they're using a 'systemd distribution', I tell them they'll have to get help from someone else.
              Note that I do not tell someone with 'systemd-box' problems that they'll have to get a 'systemd' expert; there IS no such person.

Comment

Look at all the unworthy people in here who cant install Arch. Pathetic.

^ see, that's sarcasm, and still funny because it's true.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
                  Look at all the unworthy people in here who cant install Arch. Pathetic.

^ see, that's sarcasm, and still funny because it's true.
                  Keep in mind that Arch users are failed Gentoo users too dumb to install it.

BTW I use Arch.

Comment

Honestly, I can't be even bothered to care about this. Considering my expieriences with installers, I feel like I'm better off setting things up by hand. It goes down pretty quick after you do it like 3 times, and learning the process shows a lot about how to manage the operating system. It also handles non-trivial setups just fine. I'd rather spend 10 minutes running a couple of commands rather than seeing horrors of block name based fstab generated by netinstall debian image (debian in general never worked too well for me) or other spectacular failures.

Having an "easy" arch distro defeats the purpose, because arch is just a decent generic systemd distro with good docs and repositories. There's no need for such distributions (especially when they have their own repositories) when ubuntu (or any other "user-friendly" systemd distro) fills the gap just fine, with the majority of arch's amazing documentation being applicable.

Comment

It doesn't even make sense to exist an Arch derivate. If you want an "easy" distro, there's plenty of them. Although I liked Antergos more than Manjaro.

Comment

Working...
                      X