No announcement yet.

Arch-Based Antergos Linux Distribution Calls It Quits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No real loss, while I liked Antergos it did have bugs that caused headaches, Manjaro is way better and my current favorite distro of them all.

Comment

And yet, Parabola GNU/Linux-libre just keeps on rolling along. In case anyone is looking for an easy (and ethical) way to install and use Arch...

It's focused more and more on its OpenRC version recently.

Comment

https://artixlinux.org/ AFAIK the only systemd free Arch distro currently... it uses openrc just like Gentoo.

Edit: apparently Parabola uses openrc also I had forgotten about this.
        Last edited by cb88; 21 May 2019, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
          https://artixlinux.org/ AFAIK the only systemd free Arch distro currently... it uses openrc just like Gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

why not use manjaro, im pretty happy with it
            Things like Manjaro Settings Manager, some of their meta-packages, and random things they do to make it more accessible and friendly tend to get in the way of power users and people who prefer the Arch way. It can also have issues from time-to-time with AUR packages that expect you to be up-to-date with at least Arch stable but Manjaro hasn't updated X or Y package yet. As an Arch user currently on Manjaro, those are my reasons. All of those can be dealt with and worked around, but with the effort involved, might as well just install Arch.

Well, this sucks. I always liked using Antergos as a way to get a quick and easy Arch KDE desktop with ZFS on root, though, like has been mentioned, their installer wasn't always the greatest and I tended to run it from the command line with experimental features enabled because it ran better for me that way...always thought that was odd...

Comment

Because it's green.. the name isn't calling me either.. If I want green I'd use Suse because it's got a cute gecko that makes me happy. Reasons man.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                Well, this sucks. I always liked using Antergos as a way to get a quick and easy Arch KDE desktop with ZFS on root, though, like has been mentioned, their installer wasn't always the greatest and I tended to run it from the command line with experimental features enabled because it ran better for me that way...always thought that was odd...
                Really.... It has ZFS on root? Why is not a thing? Boot Environments are great. (Specially with an unstable thing like Arch)

Comment

Because break more than pure Arch, devels of manjaro slow update in stable channel vulnerabilities (like new MDS), slow to update nvidia drivers, updates frequently systemd package (why?) and breaks system, etc
                  Last edited by Stenka; 21 May 2019, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Damn, it's too sad to hear. It doesn't come as a complete surprise though, because the distro kind of felt quite dead for a long time because the devs just didn't have the time to maintain it properly. Many people kept reporting issues with the installer so it was a beta experience for many, next to that packages took ages to be updated, so it was a beta distro overall. Nonetheless a great beta distro. I've never experienced any serious issues and I'm sad to be forced to a different distro when this one is the only one that satisfied me completely.

Comment

I won't run Arch itself again unless they remove systemd.

Comment

Working...
                      X