Watch Out For BCache Corruption Issues On Linux 5.0 & GCC 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Which utilities work with a root fs or mounted filesystems again? Yes, the user may boot from a bootable USB flash and run GParted in graphical mode but for that he must also learn some non-trivial things and also have a spare USB flash stick.
    Stop moving the goalposts. There is no shell needed, contrary to your claims. Creating a USB flash drive with Linux on it is trivial and there are also GUI tools which will perform that for you.

Again, multiple people that I know have bought and used such "bad" Windows licenses. Not a single one has ever been revoked. Your anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.
    Um, you may want to re-read the part in bold again. My arguments are based on what Microsoft says and what independent journalists have discovered after using Windows key checker tools on test purchases of Windows keys. Your arguments are based on TFYA.

Speaking of your points:

* "selling the same key to several customers" - these won't allow to reactivate Windows automatically via the Internet (unless a certain quite long period of time passes, at the very least six months)
    No, you get 3(?) activations in that timeframe. However, if you attempt to re-install one of these keys a few months later, activation could fail.
    * "illegally gaining access to CoA sticker rolls and photographing them before they are placed on computers" - considering the volume of licenses being sold you can't really do that in ... large volumes, no?
    Microsoft themselves warn about this.
    Originally posted by Microsoft
    Beware of Product Keys Sold Separately
    With the exception of Product Key Cards (PKC’s) distributed with COA’s, Microsoft does not distribute products keys as standalone products. If you see a listing on an auction site, online classified ad, or other online page advertising product keys for sale, it’s a good indication that the keys are likely stolen or counterfeit. If you were to purchase and use a stolen or counterfeit product key to activate Windows installed on your PC, the key may not work for activation, may already be in use on another PC, or it might be blocked from use later by Microsoft when the key is reported stolen.

Their German website is even more explicit:
    Originally posted by Microsoft
    Vorsicht bei Angeboten von bloßen Product Keys.
    Einzelne Product Keys für OEM-Versionen von Windows 10 können ebenfalls problematisch sein. Wenn z.B. ein solcher Product Key noch nicht zur Aktivierung verwendet wurde, also scheinbar „neu“ ist, dann kann es sich um einen Product Key handeln, der bei einem OEM-Partner entwendet wurde, was in der Vergangenheit leider vorgekommen ist.
    Tipps zum Erwerb von Software. Wie können Sie sich schützen? Wichtige Hinweise, wie Sie legale von illegalen Angeboten unterscheiden. Jetzt Angebote prüfen

* "timed-limited volume licenses" - these won't activate retail Windows releases.
    * "trading in education keys from Azure Dev Tools for Teaching " - I really doubt these licenses can be obtained in large volumes. Last time I checked they are given on a per person basis.
    They will perfectly fine activate the Windows 10 ISO image that you can download directly from Microsoft.

Comment

What bullocks do we have here. LOL. In Windows I go to disk manager and resize all my volumes using GUI without even rebooting.
      No Windows will refuse todo particular file systems resizes to NTFS partition while the file system is on-line.

1) you must learn shell
      2) you must learn how to boot your system to text mode (or change runlevels whatever they are called now)
      3) you must learn how to re/un/mount your root/other partitions read only (Linux GUI partition applications tools cannot operate on mounted partitions)
      4) you must learn partition tables and how to work with them
      5) you must learn to identify partitions
      Not a single point that true. There are graphical interfaces like gparted you can use.

6) you must learn how to create backups (resizing partitions is not exactly foolproof)
      7) you must not make mistakes (you can easily kill all your data by using fdisk/gdisk/gparted/etc.).
      This applies to using Windows disk manager have you not read the Microsoft Administrators guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        That's like saying just copy all your files somewhere else and re-create the ext filesystem and copy them back. Same kind of stupid "solutions". If it has to be taken offline then it doesn't count.
        So Windows chkdsk that is used in part of the structure defrags on NTFS file systems does not count either. Bad news some of Windows defraging that allows freespace to sort out is in fact done offline. EXT4 freespace defrag it all has to be done off line at this stage.

So things are not quite as straight forwards as it seams.

Really the resize2fs stacks the files in tighter on each other and reduces the inode count. Now it has not recreated the file system structures. To make it a proper ext freespace defrag all you need todo is remove the bit of code that updates the inode count so does not reduce the size of the file system. Then you would have functional off-line freespace defrag on ext file systems

Ext4 online defrag for normal files was developed as offline defrag first. So if someone wanted to make the first stage of a tool to perform freespace space defrag on ext partitions they just need to pick up the resize2fs and modify. Once that done it would be work on how to modify the online defrag to be able todo it.

Basically the first stage exists in resize2fs in fact someone could just take the -M flag of resize2fs add a new flag to resize2fs like -C for compact with the partition resize stuff removed and there is your offline freespace defrag done.

Yes there is complaining about these issues but with how simple the fix would be and its not done people must not find it a critical missing feature.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
          No Windows will refuse todo particular file systems resizes to NTFS partition while the file system is on-line.

Not a single point that true. There are graphical interfaces like gparted you can use.

This applies to using Windows disk manager have you not read the Microsoft Administrators guide.

Should I record a screencast of Windows resizing its system partition on the fly? In fact here's a youtube video where it's shown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeXmSLpNhXA

Could you record a screencast of resizing mounted volumes in Linux on the fly? What about the / (root) partition? In Linux you cannot modify the partition table if at least a single partition is mounted off it. If you cannot change the partition table, you cannot do freaking anything.

Could you stop egregiously lying?

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          Stop moving the goalposts. There is no shell needed, contrary to your claims. Creating a USB flash drive with Linux on it is trivial and there are also GUI tools which will perform that for you.
          No USB flash drive is required in Windows. Everything is available out of the box. On some laptops and PCs booting off a USB flash drive requires entering BIOS and meddling with its settings. And it's extremely complicated for > 98% of users out there.

Um, you may want to re-read the part in bold again. My arguments are based on what Microsoft says and what independent journalists have discovered after using Windows key checker tools on test purchases of Windows keys. Your arguments are based on TFYA.
          Over two dozen of Windows licenses I've bought on Ebay and other places are all functional. Ebay sellers who sell such licenses have over 98% positive ratings. You anecdotal journalistic evidence is anecdotal. Also, again, for the deaf among us, Windows 10 OEM license costs $100. Anyone can afford that. Stop with your BS.

No, you get 3(?) activations in that timeframe. However, if you attempt to re-install one of these keys a few months later, activation could fail.
          Microsoft themselves warn about this.

Their German website is even more explicit:

https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/akti...eres-einkaufen

They will perfectly fine activate the Windows 10 ISO image that you can download directly from Microsoft.
          Beside the point.
          Last edited by birdie; 16 May 2019, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            Linux operating systems have problems in HDD/SSD management since 10/15 years at least. HDDs are struggling on I/O operations. The same hard drive used in XP is not so strained making the operation very quick without any noise compared to every linux operating system. This kind of thing happen when the hard drive is too much fragmented or there are problems on the mapping of data.
            I'm a bit late to the game, but due to the native of the (cross platform) software my company is developing we've been doing ____extensive___ benchmarks on any combination of software (proprietary, FS, databases), OS (Linux, BSD, Windows server) and hardware (single drive HDD / SSD, to 500TB+ in HDD RAID 50/60 and 100+ TB SSD RAID10/50/60).
            In nearly all benchmarks (beyond static sequential read and write) Windows is considerably slower. But how much? 5% to 95%.
            E.g. Some operations, such as creating new files or deleting old files in __huge__ directories (with 100,000 of files) Windows can be 20-30 times (!) slower than Linux. Same goes when trashing the FS with _huge_ amount concurrent I/O write requests.

Now, Linux is not created equal, far from it. In most operations we found that ext4 is _faster_ than xfs, as long as you are crazy enough to partition your storage into small chunks. (We actually use 1TB chunks are distribute the load between them, managing 512 partitions is nothing to sneeze at).

Never the less, I should point out that:
            1. Windows server 2K16 is considerably faster than Windows server 2K12 / 2K8 (we're yet to do considerable testing on Windows server 2K19).
            2. I doubt that anything I said has any bearing if you're a desktop user (Unless you use software RAID, as both disk manager built RAID and storage spaces both still perform poorly compared to MDRAID).

- Gilboa
            Last edited by gilboa; 16 May 2019, 07:35 AM.
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Should I record a screencast of Windows resizing its system partition on the fly? In fact here's a youtube video where it's shown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeXmSLpNhXA

Could you record a screencast of resizing mounted volumes in Linux on the fly? What about the / (root) partition?

https://www.systutorials.com/5621/ex...-lvm-in-linux/

Could you stop being incompetent and accusing me of lying. That video is extending a partition above Is Linux Instructions with LVM partitions extending any EXT4 partition including root while mounted. There is no need to record a screen cast.

Shrinking partitions under Linux requires you to take partition off line under Linux. Moving the start of a non LVM partition requires taken the partition offline. Both of these by Microsoft administrator guides you should have backed up NTFS partitions before performing.

With Linux once you are needing to unmounted you are doing something possible dangerous that might cause data loss.

In Linux you cannot modify the partition table if at least a single partition is mounted off it. If you cannot change the partition table, you cannot do freaking anything.
              This is not true either.
              https://www.2daygeek.com/how-to-relo...system-reboot/
              There is a rule you cannot have your partition change cause the partition number of mounted partition change or a mounted partitions start move if you do all hell breaks loss at the Linux partition table reload into a hot running system.

Could you stop egregiously lying?
              Birdie is not me who is the egregiously lying. Please Birdie stop egregiously lying. Linux does not always make it simple but things you are claiming cannot be done in Linux have been able to be done by those who know what they are doing for the past 20 years. Basically please stop being 2 decades out of date.
              Last edited by oiaohm; 16 May 2019, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Birdie,

I know I'm wasting my time feeding you, but, ever tried moving C:\Users or worse, C:\Program Files* into a __mounted__ and fully working storage spaces array __without__ reinstalling Windows? Heck, ever managed to move C:\Users and C:\Program files* to another partition without banging your head in safe mode console?
                'Cause, I can move full file systems back and forth (including the root FS) from one device (or storage array) to another, remove drives, replace them, and shove them back all day long as long as I use LVM.
                E.g. Add physical disk / array to the LVM, move the logical volumes into the new device / array, remove the old device / array from LVM, replace it, etc.

- Gilboa
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

https://www.systutorials.com/5621/ex...-lvm-in-linux/

Could you stop being incompetent and accusing me of lying. That video is extending a partition above Is Linux Instructions with LVM partitions extending any EXT4 partition including root while mounted. There is no need to record a screen cast.

Shrinking partitions under Linux requires you to take partition off line under Linux. Moving the start of a non LVM partition requires taken the partition offline. Both of these by Microsoft administrator guides you should have backed up NTFS partitions before performing.

With Linux once you are needing to unmounted you are doing something possible dangerous that might cause data loss.

This is not true either.
                  https://www.2daygeek.com/how-to-relo...system-reboot/
                  There is a rule you cannot have your partition change cause the partition number of mounted partition change or a mounted partitions start move if you do all hell breaks loss at the Linux partition table reload into a hot running system.

Birdie is not me who is the egregiously lying. Please Birdie stop egregiously lying. Linux does not always make it simple but things you are claiming cannot be done in Linux have been able to be done by those who know what they are doing for the past 20 years. Basically please stop being 2 decades out of date.
                  Let's try this unique recipe which I'm sure as hell you've never tested. In a fully updated Fedora 30:

Code:
                  # partprobe /dev/sda
                  Does nothing. Dmesg is empty.

Code:
                  # blockdev --rereadpt -v /dev/sda
                  blockdev: ioctl error on BLKRRPART: Device or resource busy
                  IOW, error.

Code:
                  # hdparm -z /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
                   re-reading partition table
                   BLKRRPART failed: Device or resource busy
                  IOW, error.

Code:
                  # partx -a /dev/sda
                  partx: /dev/sda: error adding partitions 1-4
                  IOW, error.

Also, you are back to console commands, aren't you? You said I could do that from GUI. LOL.

I will now test whether GParted can actually resize mounted filesystems because I don't trust your links any more. Perhaps you're right, perhaps you aren't. YouTube has no videos for doing that. So far I've found only the videos from people who say, "Reboot into a Live CD and pray", sorry, "resize your partitions from it" which kinda goes against your words.
                  Last edited by birdie; 16 May 2019, 11:29 AM.

Comment

So Windows chkdsk that is used in part of the structure defrags on NTFS file systems does not count either. Bad news some of Windows defraging that allows freespace to sort out is in fact done offline. EXT4 freespace defrag it all has to be done off line at this stage.
                    But NTFS is also garbage and can't even defragment the MFT properly. I'm just saying that ext4 simply blows and the sad thing is that most of the other Linux filesystems are even worse or unstable.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                      Birdie,

I know I'm wasting my time feeding you, but, ever tried moving C:\Users or worse, C:\Program Files* into a __mounted__ and fully working storage spaces array __without__ reinstalling Windows? Heck, ever managed to move C:\Users and C:\Program files* to another partition without banging your head in safe mode console?
                      'Cause, I can move full file systems back and forth (including the root FS) from one device (or storage array) to another, remove drives, replace them, and shove them back all day long as long as I use LVM.
                      E.g. Add physical disk / array to the LVM, move the logical volumes into the new device / array, remove the old device / array from LVM, replace it, etc.

- Gilboa
                      The fact that Windows does not allow you to move system files, including some files from your user account, doesn't invalidate my previous points. It shows some Windows limitations which have existed since Windows 95/NT 3.51 and I'm not even slightly inconvenienced by them. You can think of many crazy things you can't do in Windows but resizing volumes is available out of the box for the most stupid people out there.

Comment

Working...
                      X