No announcement yet.

Watch Out For BCache Corruption Issues On Linux 5.0 & GCC 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Birdie is saying is that Windows is better at solving Windows problems than Linux.

I think he is right.

Comment

Originally posted by bepvte View Post
      NTFS is one of the few modern filesystems that need defragmentation, and thats because its designed pretty horribly. Ext4 places file in a roomy place with plenty of room to expand by default, and tries much harder to avoid fragmentation. I dont understand why you are going onto a linux forum when you feel irreversibly linux is bad, it feels pretty counter productive and not like you want debate but just to cause a ruckus.
      People who have very little grasp of Linux try to argue that way.

What they don't seem to understand is that perhaps for them personally Windows is a better fit.

Most people that I know who still use Windows think Linux has problems because they know how to solve a problem in Windows and have no clue how to approach issues in Linux, also most of the time they run into Windows problems because they assume how Windows does things is how computers work.

We abide by the ideals that birds should be free, but some love to live within Windows, I say let them be.

Comment

I've used EXT4 on a 120 SSD, R/W about 20TB from it on a single FS. Fragmentation was 1% when I retired the hardware for a 1TB SSD. I find it hard to believe you've experienced such issues on EXT4. PEBKAC/Config issues more likely. Windows can't keep under 1% fragmentation after writing the same size drive worth of data.

Comment

Originally posted by ypnos View Post

So the FUD is in full force now. Old arguments rebuked, now we suddenly talk about something completely different. Nice try!
          I've accidentally blacklisted you because you live in a strange imaginary world which doesn't quite relate to the world other people live in.

If you believe any valid and substantial arguments against Linux and its shortcomings are FUD, then you may wanna check your brains or give your nearest loony bin a visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            This kind of thing happen when the hard drive is too much fragmented or there are problems on the mapping of data.
            to avoid fragmentation, you must never leave less than 5% of free space on an ext partition

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I've accidentally blacklisted you because you live in a strange imaginary world which doesn't quite relate to the world other people live in.

If you believe any valid and substantial arguments against Linux and its shortcomings are FUD, then you may wanna check your brains or give your nearest loony bin a visit.
              In Linux:
              7) you must not make mistakes (you can easily kill all your data by using fdisk/gdisk/gparted/etc.).
              hmmmm

Comment

Will be interesting to see if it's a gcc miscompilation, or a sensitization of existing buggy kernel code.

Comment

Originally posted by trek View Post

to avoid fragmentation, you must never leave less than 5% of free space on an ext partition
                  indeed, the problem happens in any case. The hard drive management has problem in linux for unknown reasons. The 5.2 kernel is going to integrate an I/O improvement... I don't know if it fixes the problem.

Comment

Windows 10 license can be quite legally obtained for less than $20.
                    That would be against Microsoft's terms of service, which would mean that Microsoft could retroactively invalidate your license.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

That would be against Microsoft's terms of service, which would mean that Microsoft could retroactively invalidate your license.
                      Don't know what you're talking about. Ebay, various etailers and other classifieds sell OEM Windows licenses from dead motherboards which is perfectly legal.

I've never heard of a single case for the past 10 years when such licenses have been revoked or nullified. I'm using such licenses as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X