Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Details On Microsoft's WSL2 Implementation For Running Linux Binaries On Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
    Could Windows CMD not just understand ANSI escape sequences already? Or do I have to install some python hack (colorama) to get both terminals to work the same on the same box?
    See: <https://venturebeat.com/2019/05/06/m...2-coming-june/>. cmd.exe has nothing to do with parsing xterm escape codes.

Cygwin is actually almost better because it doesn't try to pretend to be full-stack Linux.
    Definitely shows with fork(2) performance.

Comment

g) What exactly is the problem with simply replacing stone-age DOS, which underpins Windows, with the Linux kernel? Just port the window manager over! You know it makes sense.
      What? Are you implying that current Windows 10 still uses DOS underneath, like the old Windows 95/08/Me? (which is false, BTW)

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        Microsoft is desperate and suffering. You can use win10 free without signing and now this. Windows is so bad that smart people do not use it. You can test windows software with wine-staging and dxvk.
        No, not quite, the desperate (and sad) thing is the Phoronix comment section, whenever MS comes up. MS is doing fine, having reached even 1 _trillion_ market cap recently.

That's "desperate" and "suffering" Microsoft for ya. But the zealots were never too good at grasping reality, only their own pipe dreams and superiority complex ("smart people do not use it").

(disclaimer: I'm a linux system engineer)

Comment

Just like they realized it with Edge, MS will probably one day replace the NT kernel with Linux. It would probably turn out to be better for them.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
            Umm. M$. Can I have your kernel source tree and all the modifications you have made please?
            They answered this both in their blog announcement and in the video. Yes, they will publish the source for this kernel and whenever possible they will try to upstream their changes.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

No, not quite, the desperate (and sad) thing is the Phoronix comment section, whenever MS comes up. MS is doing fine, having reached even 1 _trillion_ market cap recently.

That's "desperate" and "suffering" Microsoft for ya. But the zealots were never too good at grasping reality, only their own pipe dreams and superiority complex ("smart people do not use it").
              No no nooo! You cannot use individual company stock performance alone as an indicator how well MS is doing. You always have to see it in relation to the rest of the field.

Taking for example MSFT vs. Nasdaq 100 Technology Sector, you see that MSFT tracked the index quite closely until early 2018. This is when Linux started to overtake Windows in Azure coincidentally.

(source: Yahoo! Finance)
              I'm a linux system engineer
              That may be an explanation, but not an excuse.

In addition, stock price does not tell us everything. Microsoft has become irrelevant to the future of computing. They are still able to squeeze a lot of money out of those who are unfortunate enough to be locked into their platform (which is reflected by the stock price), but the innovation happens elsewhere and not on Microsoft platforms.

Make no mistake. WSL is an attempt to retain the developers in the enterprise. Without WSL, the pressure to move off Windows workstations for development would be much greater.

Comment

(disclaimer: I'm a linux system engineer)
                So MS is doing so well because of Windows alone? 'Cause they have a lot of other divisions too, you know...

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  Make no mistake. WSL is an attempt to retain the developers in the enterprise. Without WSL, the pressure to move off Windows workstations for development would be much greater.
                  You say that like it is a bad thing. If Microsoft wants to retain developers by giving developers something they want, then that should be applauded.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

So MS is doing so well because of Windows alone? 'Cause they have a lot of other divisions too, you know...
                    Yeah, like, I'm sure the Xbox has something to do with their profits.

Or it's just a very odd coincidence that the Xbox One releases in 2013 just right when their profits begin to skyrocket.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yeah, like, I'm sure the Xbox has something to do with their profits.

Or it's just a very odd coincidence that the Xbox One releases in 2013 just right when their profits begin to skyrocket.
                      The major part of their profits is the Office suite, what you see in the chart above is the stock price, not their profits. Their gross profits have been somewhat stable but did a major leap in 2018/2019 (from roughly $60B to $80B).

Comment

Working...
                      X