Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 To Offer Faster I/O Performance, Native Docker Containers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and by the time they arrive at WSL 3, Windows will end up being only a thin GUI layer running a top some Microsoft Linux distribution :-P

Comment

Is paravirtualization (like Xen) involved?

Comment

If what other outlets like ArsTechnica are saying about v2 of WSL then it's not really a subsystem anymore, it's just a plain Linux VM. It apparently even runs completely unmodified docker images.

Then again I guess this was probably to be expected as they did try to sell it as an alternative to multi-booting, VMs like VirtualBox and more importantly, just plain giving Windows the proverbial boot. A "reverse WINE" of sorts was never going to be able to handle all the use cases people would throw at it and I have a feeling that with the expansion of use cases that it can handle it'll only have to be expanded even further over time. Maybe the plan is to morph the structure over time until it's essentially the reverse of WSL v1?

I also find it kind of ridiculous that they can introduce a really neat looking multi-tabbed terminal, but when they tried introducing a multi-tabbed file explorer, a way more useful addition and something their competition has had for years already, it supposedly worked so badly with the custom titlebar feature that they decided to just scrap the whole idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post

Could be a Hyper-V solution with a Linux kernel running on it. Would certainly have faster I/O. WSL is really slow as it is today.
          That would be truly unfortunate for home users. Only Windows 10 Pro and higher support Hyper-V.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
            I also find it kind of ridiculous that they can introduce a really neat looking multi-tabbed terminal, but when they tried introducing a multi-tabbed file explorer, a way more useful addition and something their competition has had for years already, it supposedly worked so badly with the custom titlebar feature that they decided to just scrap the whole idea.
            The problem with legacy APIs and inconsistent legacy design language. Getting tabbed windowing across MSFT entire software stack was basically an impossibility as a result. I believe MSFT is still pushing out a tabbed explorer though, just not for anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Building for Linux in a linux image docker container is like building on native. Building for mac without a mac is always levels of headaches.

I do suspect Microsoft will still be missing proper X11/wayland support so you will not be able to run a full test suite against you opengl application for Linux.
              As I understand it, MSFT is ripping out pretty much everything to do with rendering output, given Windows will be handling that.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                As I understand it, MSFT is ripping out pretty much everything to do with rendering output, given Windows will be handling that.
                Its more like they must handle that. Absolute nightmare for Microsoft is if Linux graphical applications start coming common on Windows so porting to windows comes less important.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                  The problem with legacy APIs and inconsistent legacy design language. Getting tabbed windowing across MSFT entire software stack was basically an impossibility as a result. I believe MSFT is still pushing out a tabbed explorer though, just not for anything else.
                  No, they actually announced that they were abandoning the whole idea of a tabbed explorer a month or two ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                    Windows becomes a Linux distribution.
                    [/URL]
                    Not according to our main man starshipeleven who keeps debunking that myth in every WSL thread.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
                      and by the time they arrive at WSL 3, Windows will end up being only a thin GUI layer running a top some Microsoft Linux distribution :-P
                      and why not? right now I am all doing vim to edit files and cannot use my IDE to do some coding. There are workarounds but they are currently a pain, also because unix line break characters and stuff. I'd welcome that.

WSL saved me huge amount of gigabytes of repartitioning and dual booting to be honest, and it is lighter than a virtualbox image storage block too.

Comment

Working...
                      X