Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Announces "Windows Terminal" As Linux-esque Inspired Terminal For Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS prepping for the "Windows 11 Linux Distro"? ^^

Comment

I hope they gradually walk toward a Posix-compliant kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post

A what point does Microsoft call it a day and switch to Linux wholesale?
        Bryan Lunduke was just pondering about that very question not even a week ago: http://youtu.be/S27_WyQKQdQ

Comment

Microsoft trying to perform all 3 E's at once with all this software. All the layers of software and Windows garbage is exactly why it'll never work unless they drastically change their OS to Linux it's self.

Comment

Will I be able to install it on my Linux too? 🙂

Comment

GPU-accelerated text rendering
              Wow. That's ridiculous. Also emoji, possibly the most useless thing ever. I bet now people will name scripts with emojis in the title just to annoy everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                Nothing that has emojis can be taken serious!...

GPU-accelerated text rendering
                Originally posted by andychow View Post
                Wow. That's ridiculous.
                Non accelerated text rendering is one of the main reason the Windows CLI is so slow nowadays. When compiling Unix software with MinGW, a big chunk of time is taken rendering thousands of pages of make output. Accelerated text rendering will speed up my workflow. I absolutely welcome this!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

Wow. That's ridiculous. Also emoji, possibly the most useless thing ever. I bet now people will name scripts with emojis in the title just to annoy everyone.
                  Well just wait until emojis start being used in the Linux terminals! Commands could decorate their output with smiley faces, angry faces, or any of the other numerous emojis that are available. For example utilities like "top" could use emojis for "running" processes, "sleeping" processes, and "zombie" processes. Emoji-decorated output could even be sent to the syslog! However, new controversy might emerge about which gender and race emojis should be used. Perhaps that would be assigned to the system during the initial installation.

Comment

A good terminal (terminal program) alone does not make for a good shell, and vice versa.
                    You can run cygwin's bash.exe in cmd.exe. Or you can run cmd.exe from mingetty.exe (trivial terminal from cygwin), just to name some combinations. And then there's also pterm.exe (from putty).

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
                      I hope they gradually walk toward a Posix-compliant kernel.
                      AFAIK NT used to be posix-compatible 'back in the days'. Nothing good came out of it. After all, posix doesn't even have ACLs. And linux isn't compatible with it (posix, not acl)

Comment

Working...
                      X