Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mozilla Had A Rough Night With Add-Ons Getting Disabled Due To An Expired Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
    Wasn't affected when I first read these news, but it hit me a few hours later.

Can't do the studies workaround because those data collection and studies options are disabled at build time in Debian.

Thought for myself that I could use GNOME Web aka. Epiphany to get working ad-blocking in the meantime which is essential for keeping sanity while browsing some sites, but was surprised to see ad-blocking not working in Epiphany either. Weird! What's going on with that?
    Does Debian still do the sane thing and only ship ESR versions of Firefox? There's a setting to disable addon signature checks in ESR builds: xpinstall.signatures.required (in about:config). Just don't forget to set this back once the situation is properly resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post

Does Debian still do the sane thing and only ship ESR versions of Firefox? There's a setting to disable addon signature checks in ESR builds: xpinstall.signatures.required (in about:config). Just don't forget to set this back once the situation is properly resolved.
      Debian stable ships Firefox ESR, but I use Debian unstable which has latest Firefox. I found the setting regardless and it did indeed work around the issue. Thanks for that!

Comment

Firefox just sent notification:

We rolled out a hotfix that re-enables affected add-ons. The fix will be automatically applied in the background within the next few hours. For more details, please check out the update at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...nstall-firefox

Comment

I found a temporary solution for users of the regular FF on the net:
          If you have the regular build (not the nightly/dev one) then
          the xpinstall.signatures.required set to false doesn't fix
          this.

But I got all of my add-ons back by going to
          about:debugging.
          Check the box to enable add-on debugging.
          Then click Load Temporary Add-On.
          Browse to your Firefox profile in appdata:

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefo x\Profiles\<some random sh*t>.default\extensions

In the extensions folder there are .xpi files, those are your extensions that you had.
          Load each one and don't close
          Firefox until they fix this.

Comment

First they ban dissenter addon, now this , what a mess

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
              Do they only get disabled if you restart Firefox? My Firefox add-ons are still working fine but I haven't restarted in months.
              Yes, only if you restart. Otherwise they seem to keep working fine.

Comment

You can install the fix with the updated certificate manually.

Here is the recipe list: https://normandy.cdn.mozilla.net/api/v1/recipe/

If you look at the recipe list, you'll find the real link to the xpi hotfix update:

Just download the xpi file, drag-drop it on firefox and it will ask you to install, if you accept then all addons will go back to normal.

Comment

Oh Mozilla, what a mess! Is it really that hard to manage certificate expiration's? It's not like Mozilla has a lack of resources...

Is nightly now broken as well? I can't open new tabs, type a url and press Enter... shit

Edit: I need to type in the url https, so opening phoronix.com doesn't work, I have to type now https://phoronix.com :-(
                  Last edited by R41N3R; 04 May 2019, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                    I no longer have any respect for Mozilla.

Not only do they use their signing authority for political reasons (removing Dissenter because they don't like the user generated content), but they can't even manage to keep the signatures up to date. Mozilla has made a transition from moral principle to moral prostitution, and from technical competence to technical illiteracy.

Rest In Peace.
                    drama queen

Comment

Are they trying to lose users? I feel like a lab rodent.

Comment

Working...
                      X