Debian's New Project Leader Hits The Ground Running With Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swizzler View Post

I'm really glad that you are not. Phoronix is loaded with bigoted comments, abusive threads, and plain old nasty people. It's a useful place to look when researching a potential hire or collaborator.
    I only work with people who value the quality of the work before and above all other considerations. If their priorities are somewhere else, they won't last long anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Debian should use latest mainline kernels and Mesa and LLVM dev git to get bug fixes and new features fast.[/FONT]
      debianxfce should change distro and stop asking Debian to do things that go against its main principles.

Debian is about stability and it's mainly for server and embedded. If you want latest and greatest go with Arch or Antergos or Manjaro (which are pretty good for gaming as far as they tell).

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        The industry and users have other opinion, Steam games are supported by Debian based distributions only.
        Wrong.
        Steam games are officially supported on Ubuntu and SteamOS.

Debian based distributions are most popular,
        proof?

Debian has many fast servers around the world
        so does every other distro
        and Debian testing is stable and compatible.
        so does OpenSUSE, Arch and everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          The industry and users have other opinion, Steam games are supported by Debian based distributions only.
          Wrong.
          Steam games are officially supported on Ubuntu and SteamOS.
          Wait... Aren't those "debian-based distributions" ?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmanuel Deloget View Post

Wait... Aren't those "debian-based distributions" ?
            So is Linux Mint, SLAX, Armbian, and many others. Is Steam officially supported there? No it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              So is Linux Mint, SLAX, Armbian, and many others. Is Steam officially supported there? No it is not.
              Please sir, could you take the time to read again the sentence that you so vigourously opposed?

There is a difference between "Steam is supported on debian based distributions" and "Steam is supported on ALL debian based distribution". While the latter is wrong and you would have been very right to issue an interjection to oppose it, it appears that the former is still right.

Mostly because, well, Steam is supported on a few number of distributions, all of them being, well, debian based.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmanuel Deloget View Post
                There is a difference between "Steam is supported on debian based distributions" and "Steam is supported on ALL debian based distribution".
                Good, good. You will agree that there is the same difference also between "Steam is supported on debian based distributions" and "Steam is supported on 2 of the hundred zillions of Debian derivatives around".

It may be too subtle for you but I, as I man of culture I can sense it.

His claim was overstating the amount of debian-based distros supported by steam, that's where he is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post
                  Arch has a similar methodology, you need to have a proven history of good quality packages in the AUR and sponsorship from a current TU before even being considered to maintain packages in the repos.
                  I think having something like AUR for Debian as well has already been suggested. I think it's a great idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X