Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenZFS / ZFS On Linux Is Introducing A Code of Conduct To Encourage New Contributors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenZFS / ZFS On Linux Is Introducing A Code of Conduct To Encourage New Contributors

Phoronix: OpenZFS / ZFS On Linux Is Introducing A Code of Conduct To Encourage New Contributors

In addition to squaring up the massive ZFS On Linux 0.8 milestone and helping with bringing ZFS On Linux to FreeBSD, the OpenZFS / ZFS On Linux team is also assembling a Code of Conduct...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone really get encouraged by contributing to a project by it having a Code of Conduct?
    Like, really?

Personally, a Code of Conduct does not encourage me to contribute whatsoever.
    What encourages me is;
    • Project uses Git. Since, I don't know any other version control system.
    • Project is hosted on GitHub or GitLab (so I can login with my GitHub credentials).
    • Developers pay attention to issues and pull requests.
    • Developers willing to fix my PRs when I mess up.
    What discourages me from contributing is:
    • Project uses a version control system I am not familiar with (i.e. anything other than Git).
    • Project is not hosted on a forge, doesn't have issues and pull requests.
    • Project uses Gerrit.
    • Project forces me to create .diff patches and upload files or send into mailinglists.
    • Need to register accounts.
    • Need to sign Contributor License Agreements (CLA).
    • Whiny maintainers who tells me to squash my commits or things like that. I have no idea how to do things like that, and I often commit directly from GitHub in my web browser.

Comment

Ah yes, yet another project embracing toxic politics, lovely.

Comment

At least they aren't banning virtual hugs.

Comment

I bet there's so many people who don't contribute to ZFS because of its lack of a code of conduct.

Here's a much nicer CoC

Don't be an arsehole.
          If you feel someone is being an arsehole, tell a project leader.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            What encourages me is;
            • Project uses Git. Since, I don't know any other version control system.
            • Project is hosted on GitHub or GitLab (so I can login with my GitHub credentials).
            • Developers willing to fix my PRs when I mess up.
            What discourages me from contributing is:
            • Whiny maintainers who tells me to squash my commits or things like that. I have no idea how to do things like that, and I often commit directly from GitHub in my web browser.
            Pfffffhahahahahahaha.

Lol no you don't get to claim you know Git if you can't squash commits, amend a commit and force-push it back to the PR. It's like 10 min of googling at most, and you expect people to provide you a webinterface and fix the shit for you?

Get lost you filthy casual.

Comment

Read trough it and didn't see anything to raise any real concerns about. Seemed like a pretty even handed and well thought out document and as long as it's enforced equally to everyone, as any set of rules and guidelines should, then I don't see any real issues with it. The PosgreSQL and Ruby CoCs were pretty good, but somewhat spartan and this is better in that regard. Only change I'd make is copy over the part about how the default interpretation of every message should be that it's not a personal attack or in bad faith and slightly re-arrange the guidelines section such that it emphasizes constructive discussion and understanding disagreements more.

However having previously raised similar concerns I do fully understand why people have concerns with CoCs in general as they're tainted in similar way as the expression "All lives matter" and the swastika. Particularly Coraline Ada and her Contributor Covenant has been misused to go after people over perfectly civil disagreements even well outside of the scope of projects. As such, I do think anyone using it or derived from it like the Linux kernel should probably have a look at this one by way of "Ctrl+C" and "Ctrl+V".

Comment

• Unwelcome sexual attention.
                I think even welcome sexual attention doesn't have a place on official mailing lists, irc channels etc.. The word "unwelcome" is pretty ambiguous in and on itself. Perhaps "stay on-topic" would be sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                  I bet there's so many people who don't contribute to ZFS because of its lack of a code of conduct.

Here's a much nicer CoC

but you can't beat people you don't like ideologically with that, duh!

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
                    I think even welcome sexual attention doesn't have a place on official mailing lists, irc channels etc.. The word "unwelcome" is pretty ambiguous in and on itself. Perhaps "stay on-topic" would be sufficient.
                    I think it's safe to assume that any sexual attention on the ZoL mailing list is unwelcome.
                    How much socially awkward you need to be to actually try to woo a partner over a friggin mailing list.

Comment

Working...
                    X