Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apache Software Foundation Pairs Up With GitHub For Its Git Infrastructure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by sdack View Post
    You're looking at the wrong statistics. I'm talking about the future, you're looking at yesterday's numbers. Microsoft once had a UNIX OS, too, but nobody wanted it. Where do you see people wanting to run a Microsoft OS on their Arm computers?
    And you are ignoring computing history. IBM still earns billions by selling mainframes that provide backwards compatibility. I'd wager there's way more x86 software that will need a platform to run on in the future.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by numacross View Post
      And you are ignoring computing history. IBM still earns billions by selling mainframes that provide backwards compatibility. I'd wager there's way more x86 software that will need a platform to run on in the future.
      No, I'm not. You're the one who keeps looking at the money. It's then all you see and can see. Better look at the business.

      Say, with everyone moving to cloud computing where do you see x86 software there, hmm? You're not going to tell me we're all going to run x86-emulators in our browsers tomorrow, are you?

      Nobody cares anymore what CPU is inside your computer. And do look at IBM there, too. They do build their own CPUs and use them in their big machines and with Linux.

      So come again and tell me how Microsoft is relevant. They're not. They may still be a big company and may make billions, but they have no further future. Your favorite supermarket chain will have a better future than what Microsoft has got, all while you probably care little for supermarket chains.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by sdack View Post
        No, I'm not. You're the one who keeps looking at the money. It's then all you see and can see. Better look at the business.

        Say, with everyone moving to cloud computing where do you see x86 software there, hmm? You're not going to tell me we're all going to run x86-emulators in our browsers tomorrow, are you?
        Because money, sadly, rules the world. Even if you have the best tech but fail to commercialize it your company will fail.

        If you're saying the world is moving into the cloud then Microsoft is already there, big time.

        Originally posted by sdack View Post
        Nobody cares anymore what CPU is inside your computer. And do look at IBM there, too. They do build their own CPUs and use them in their big machines and with Linux.

        So come again and tell me how Microsoft is relevant. They're not. They may still be a big company and may make billions, but they have no further future. Your favorite supermarket chain will have a better future than what Microsoft has got, all while you probably care little for supermarket chains.
        Did you even look closely at the breakup of Microsoft's earnings I linked? "Classical" computing is not the biggest part of it, yet it still grows and is profitable. They've successfully pivoted into cloud offerings and services for the main income source. How much more "relevant" you want them to be? What exactly you want them to do?

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by numacross View Post
          Because money, sadly, rules the world. ...
          And with that do I quit the discussion, because you can not look beyond money, sadly. Money isn't everything ... but you will argue otherwise.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by sdack View Post
            And with that do I quit the discussion, because you can not look beyond money, sadly. Money isn't everything ... but you will argue otherwise.
            That's an awful lot to assume on your part. I did not say it's everything. Please elaborate what is your definition of "relevant" then because I'm genuinely curious now.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by sdack View Post
              Nobody cares anymore what CPU is inside your computer.
              The enterprise doesn't and developers don't but consumers with their silly little Steam games and their fancy bloated Gnome 3 Wayland desktops are very much stuck to Intel.

              For other architectures to hit it off in the consumer market (aka Microsoft's fun house), users need to change their habits and re-educate more than you think.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

                The enterprise doesn't and developers don't but consumers with their silly little Steam games and their fancy bloated Gnome 3 Wayland desktops are very much stuck to Intel.

                For other architectures to hit it off in the consumer market (aka Microsoft's fun house), users need to change their habits and re-educate more than you think.
                Did you just feel incomplete without throwing a useless GNOME complaint in a post? I have absolutely no idea what that has to do with any of this, given especially that Wayland itself is used on arm-style architectures.

                Also, developers very much care, not sure what world it is where integer types are all the same size and there's no assembler or platform-specific behavior anywhere.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Question:

                  Does this include Subversion? Will SVN soruce-code be hosted on Git?

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    Microsoft are guaranteed to fsck us all over at some point but luckily the nature of Git means that it will be easy to move everything to other servers when the time comes, including commit history etc.
                    Yeah, remember when everyone said how not to use C# because Microsoft would use their patents to close Mono?

                    Except that never happened and then they open sourced .NET themselves.

                    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    Microsoft are guaranteed to fsck us all over at some point but luckily the nature of Git means that it will be easy to move everything to other servers when the time comes, including commit history etc.
                    "Those statistics are wrong because I disagree with them" is not a valid response.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by pkese View Post
                      Question:

                      Does this include Subversion? Will SVN soruce-code be hosted on Git?
                      it seems only the git-based repos are migrated over

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X