EXT4 Case-Insensitive Directories/File-Name Lookups Coming With Linux 5.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I imagine it will be massively helpful for Wine.
    Actually, it doesn't seem to matter. Technically, NTFS is case sensitive, but Windows treats it like a case-insensitive file system. I've been abusing the fact that I'm not limited by my file system to not bother with renaming alternative binaries for software I use, and Wine seems to be able to handle picking the right files properly when there are multiple case-insensitive matches in the file system.

I think this feature makes no sense if it's not supported in other file systems, as using it locks you into using a specific file system. It might be useful for sysadmins taking care of samba servers and whatnot.

Comment

It will definitely be useful for game modding such as OpenMW, not all mods capitalize their folders and files. If your not careful you can create quite a mess.
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
      Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Ok, but... what does the picture in the article have to do with all that?

Comment

I imagine this is good for Samba.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
            It will definitely be useful for game modding such as OpenMW, not all mods capitalize their folders and files. If your not careful you can create quite a mess.
            Oh goodness gracious that. Using Fallout/TES mods on Linux sucks because of case sensitivity issues.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Actually, it doesn't seem to matter. Technically, NTFS is case sensitive, but Windows treats it like a case-insensitive file system. I've been abusing the fact that I'm not limited by my file system to not bother with renaming alternative binaries for software I use, and Wine seems to be able to handle picking the right files properly when there are multiple case-insensitive matches in the file system.

I think this feature makes no sense if it's not supported in other file systems, as using it locks you into using a specific file system. It might be useful for sysadmins taking care of samba servers and whatnot.
              Some Garrys Mod mods didn't run nicely because they used case insensitive file names, so would help here.

Comment

Originally posted by ultimA View Post
                Given that it is being implemented for EXT4, what is the practical use of this feature? I could perfectly understand if they did this for the NTFS driver (compatibility for shared drives), but EXT4?
                As far as I know NTFS already does this even on Linux. NTFS has a character conversion table written into a special file. Which is great because it doesn't change just because the OS got updated. Apple's Unicode changes over the years often resulted in files you couldn't access at all. You had to reformat the entire filesystem to get rid of them.

Comment

Every time the ram consumption exceeds, my operating system crashes becoming unusable, because of overcharged Hard Drive . Which is the cause?

Comment

It's all because reaching one's pinky over to the shift key is too haaard.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                      Why would anyone want this?
                      Case sensitivity in a file system has always seemed to me the like proper thing to do. The times when I would re-format an Apple computer, I would always select case-sensitive and wonder why that was even a choice. But apparently I had never taken into consideration that there are some people who don't know how to manage their files, and would quickly end up with "My File" and "My file" in the same directory.

Comment

Working...
                      X