EXT4 Case-Insensitive Directories/File-Name Lookups Coming With Linux 5.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 Case-Insensitive Directories/File-Name Lookups Coming With Linux 5.2

Phoronix: EXT4 Case-Insensitive Directories/File-Name Lookups Coming With Linux 5.2

The Linux 5.2 kernel will allow the EXT4 file-system on a per-directory basis to selectively support case-insensitive files/folders...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It will be interesting to know how this code handles corner cases and stuff.

Like the ß (U+00DF) vs. ẞ (U+1E9E) situation, where ẞ has a lowercase mapping of ß, but ß has no uppercase mapping.
    So if I have a case-insensitive directory with ß, will a lookup for ẞ match this, or vice versa, or neither?

Comment

Doesn't this mean the kernel needs a huge unicode translation library (along with error prone parsing) as a dependency.

Comment

Given that it is being implemented for EXT4, what is the practical use of this feature? I could perfectly understand if they did this for the NTFS driver (compatibility for shared drives), but EXT4?

Comment

I think other filesystems like vfat long had case insensitivity. But it was based on traditional 8-bit character sets, not on Unicode (enabling utf8 iocharset would break vfat case insensitivity).

Comment

Why would anyone want this?

Comment

Originally posted by ultimA View Post
              Given that it is being implemented for EXT4, what is the practical use of this feature? I could perfectly understand if they did this for the NTFS driver (compatibility for shared drives), but EXT4?
              I imagine it will be massively helpful for Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I imagine it will be massively helpful for Wine.
                they already have a solution for this https://wiki.winehq.org/Case_Insensitive_Filenames

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post

they already have a solution for this https://wiki.winehq.org/Case_Insensitive_Filenames
                  Yeh but this would have better performance.

Comment

ZFS already has this. A case insensitive zpool as the Wine directory might work for what Wine is trying to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X