No announcement yet.

Sam Hartman Is Debian's Newest Project Leader, Aims To "Keep Debian Fun"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improvements in Fedora's core libs make debian and its SJW crap unnecessary now. Also with the Apple style antics of Ubuntu, complete with some early MS style "collaboration" efforts, I don't use Debian based systems any longer.

Good riddance, their model cannot innovate in anyway, and their only source of funding spent every last dime on technological power grabs. If using a distro is an endorsement for what it has provided for everyone, there is only sane choice, AND it's also what Linus uses.

Last edited by techzilla; 22 April 2019, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

You have 100 posts and at least 90 of them whine about CoC, Outreachy, the evil SJW's, etc. How about if you permanently disappear?
      DanL are you an SJW?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        I have some ideas to make Debian fun and use human resources better.
        - drop the "stable" distribution, Debian testing/sid is stable, you get bug fixes and new features faster and is compatible with many ubuntu packages.
        - drop IBM software; buggy, slow and never ready.
        - drop the point release Mesa and use the Mesa and LLVM development git that has latest bug fixes for games.
        - use the latest mainline kernel and make it non debug and using the 1000HZ timer to run faster.
        - drop wine and use wine-staging and dxvk that support more games.

My distribution does this and I would be happy not maintaining it.
        Do you see the subliminal skew of your distro design? Re-read your own comments carefully.

A distro skewed to supporting gamers is not necessarily a "stable distro" that will interest business/enterprise users. Perhaps it is not your intention to appear as a developer of a "gaming-centric" distro, but that's how your own comments appear to me and possibly to others.

Each user demographic of a distro (or "spin" of a distro) has very different needs. Gamers need "cutting edge" or "almost cutting edge" support for various features needed in their games that business/enterprise may not want/need (especially in their server setups, and servers are commonly a pretty conservative scenario in most shops). Even most business/enterprise usage on the desktop might not require "cutting edge" or "almost cutting edge" support in features that would interest gamers. Yes, some business/enterprise in video production and game development might NEED "cutting edge" or "almost cutting edge" support, but they could turn to your distro, right?

I see the major issue with Debian being funding and "human resources". They can afford people (most or all being volunteers), money, and resources/infrastructure (which costs money) to support a "stable" release, a "testing" (next "stable") release, and a "ongoing development" release. Anything more than that and either a separate distro or independent developer can take on that load, as evidenced by Ubuntu and other Debian deriviatives and people like yourself (since you admitted to it in your post). Yes, some things in life still come down to M-O-N-E-Y.

I agree that Debian "testing" is pretty stable for many uses, especially desktop users where GUI support is important, but you have to be tolerant of updates that require reboots.

I disagree with your post suggesting that Debian "testing"/"sid" (your words) is stable or even equivalent. Debian "sid" should not be considered the equivalent of Debian "testing". Even Debian's own website shows they are clearly different package families/distributions:
        HTML Code:
        https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
        Yes, some packages might be the same version numbers between Debian "testing" and Debian "sid", but Debian considers "sid" to be "living on the edge".
        HTML Code:
        https://www.debian.org/releases/
        As for your own development & release, keep up the work. Maybe it just needs some/better marketing to get broader distribution and more people interested in it.

Comment

That's very authoritarian of you, kinda ironic.
          There's nothing authoritarian about it ( https://xkcd.com/1357/ ).
          I'm simply tired of you being a predictable, one track record. Get a new shtick.

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
          DanL are you an SJW?
          Not that I know of. Then again, I've seen the term overused and used in so many different ways (on this site alone) that it's lost all meaning to me. i mean, I don't want social injustice, but that term also means different things to different people. *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by techzilla View Post
            If using a distro is an endorsement for what it has provided for everyone
            It's not. It's an endorsement of what works best for the user.

...there is only sane choice, AND it's also what Linus uses.
            Linus also uses Gnome-shell. If that's sanity, fit me for a straight-jacket.

Comment

All this hate against Debian is inaudible.

Comment

I love Debian because:

-It supports i386 for Buster and maybe even more (but e4defrag Segfaults on i386 and xtightvncviewer reports false "Too many authentification failures - right now for Buster that is

-It helped create Gentoo - total compile freedom, that's better than Arch Linux (can choose O1 O2 O3 optimisations, etc.)

-It's a good "museum of software" by keeping all old complete releases available to play with

Comment

There's nothing authoritarian about it ( [irrelevant-url] ).
                  Just because you are free to say something doesn't mean that what you say can't be interpreted and categorized by others. Why bother communicating if that was the case?

You are now saying that free speech absolves you of any need to back up what you say in an argument. You are certainly free to say what you want. That's all that means.

The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.
                  Last edited by fuzz; 25 April 2019, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                    You are now saying that free speech absolves you of any need to back up what you say in an argument.
                    No. If that's how you "interpreted" my post, then your interpreter needs serious help.

Comment

No. If that's how you "interpreted" my post, then your interpreter needs serious help.
                      Quite the contrary. You should take some communication lessons.

Comment

Working...
                      X