Sam Hartman Is Debian's Newest Project Leader, Aims To "Keep Debian Fun"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

I feel so sorry for you, feeling bad 25/7/365. Keep insulting other users that makes you look more stupid.
    Close your eyes you troll, to at least for one single moment to try to understand how world looks like for this DPL and how visual things does not really matter for everbody . Did you noticing some lack a brain there?

Comment

Phoronix, do something for dungeon and other insulting users.
      You are insulted and feel offended not by me but by your lack of brain, it is as simple as that. For you that is like trying to use something that does not exist
      Last edited by dungeon; 21 April 2019, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        You are insulted and feel offended not by me but by your lack of brain, it is as simple as that. For you that is like trying to use something that does not exist
        Code:
           (.) (.)
             ).(
        C'mon Guys...
        dungeon, please can you restrain yourself?
        I usually don't see this type of comments from you,( but any one could have a bad day...me included )..
        We already have some forum members,( with high levels of toxicity ),
        Please, drop the insulting thing..

I think debianxfce, deserves some apologies from you..
        He haven't done nothing wrong..

I am sorry to put myself in the middle...
        Usually the middle guy is the one sacrificed.. but it was with good intentions

Regards for both of you.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
          The SJW rot is deep within Debian. No wonder no one wanted to lead it. Let it burn.
          Maybe people didn't want to lead it because of people like you

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Maybe people didn't want to lead it because of people like you
            this, what sam was saying directly targeted people like u eggbert. no one wants to deal with this shitshow of a community cause half of yall manchildren screech "its da sjw's!!11!!" every time a minority does something past breathe. get outta here lol

Comment

Originally posted by carrionbear View Post

this, what sam was saying directly targeted people like u eggbert. no one wants to deal with this shitshow of a community cause half of yall manchildren screech "its da sjw's!!11!!" ... get outta here lol
              You are proving their point, though.

Comment

Dependencies are for making software to work. Arch Linux breaks easily and you must update all packages and often. Debian you can update when you want and what you want. Rolling back is easy with ppa-purge, it is easy switch between Padoka ppa, Oibaf ppa and distribution Mesa. You can run Debian testing/sid years without reinstalling OS. Debian testing has rolled since year 2000.
                I switched to Arch because of frustrations with Debian and Debian based distros.

I have Consul, Node, JDK 8-12, RabbitMQ, MariaDB, Postgres, Cassandra, Ruby, KDE, Cinnamon, ElasticSearch, Virtualbox, Docker, Apache, PHP, and a whole assortment of Python2 and 3, stuff with all sorts of dependencies. In 5 years the only thing that broke was RabbitMQ and Erlang. Just used the downgrader and downgraded Erlang and blocked Erlang from future updates until RabbitMQ caught up.

I started toying with Alpine and I think that would also make a pretty good desktop, but you have to check the package repo if software you may need works with it, I have gotten the JDK (Needs glibc) to work by modifying AdoptOpenJDK docker compose file to a shell script.

I just wish SELinux was easier to use, and Arch supported it/easier to install I would have no problem using it as a public facing server (Well with a staging environment)

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
                  It's not about pleasing everyone.

It's about keeping discussions constructive, and also keeping discussions on content level, not going in emotional personal fights or flames.
                  You have a fair point, but trying to sustain constructive criticism is difficult when you've got a lot of volunteers and relatively anonymous communication between maintainers/developers (people are much more aggressive behind a screen and keyboard). Keep in mind that open-source projects are heavily influenced by people's principles (whereas closed-source projects tend to be more influenced by money). So, once you start doing stuff that meddles with people's principles, that's when you get heated disagreements. Debian is a really big project, so it's not difficult for people to get angry and expressive over their anger, hence my point of "keeping Debian fun" to be an impossible goal.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    (whereas closed-source projects tend to be more influenced by money)
                    At a management level, sure, but developers rarely argue about money. There are lots of heated arguments even in closed source software development, although they're often face-to-face and therefore more restrained. I have seen developers explode in the middle of the office though. Developers are just highly opinionated people and struggle to differentiate between what is objectively better and what is personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
                      At a management level, sure, but developers rarely argue about money. There are lots of heated arguments even in closed source software development, although they're often face-to-face and therefore more restrained. I have seen developers explode in the middle of the office though. Developers are just highly opinionated people and struggle to differentiate between what is objectively better and what is personal preference.
                      For the most part I totally agree, but the difference is in that context, you're paid to fulfill the request given to you; it's your job. You might not like what you have to do and you might even know a better approach, but unless you're asked for something physically impossible, it is your obligation to do as you're requested. In an ideal work environment, everyone will take the time to listen to each other and come to an agreed-upon solution, but ultimately you have to do whatever it is the customer wants and what your superiors want, or else you don't get paid (or don't have a job).
                      Luckily for me, I do get a voice in the company I work for. Not everything goes my way, but I don't tend to complain because if I'm told to do something that's more complex, time-wasting, or counter-intuitive, the blame isn't put on me, so long as I do my work correctly and within a reasonable time frame. Besides, sometimes my ideas are wrong or bad, in which case it is good they weren't done; that goes hand-in-hand with what you said about "objectively better vs personal preference".
                      Last edited by schmidtbag; 22 April 2019, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X