In 2019, Most Linux Distributions Still Aren't Restricting Dmesg Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In 2019, Most Linux Distributions Still Aren't Restricting Dmesg Access

Phoronix: In 2019, Most Linux Distributions Still Aren't Restricting Dmesg Access

Going back to the late Linux 2.6 kernel days has been the CONFIG_DMESG_RESTRICT (or for the past number of years, renamed to CONFIG_SECURITY_DMESG_RESTRICT) Kconfig option to restrict access to dmesg in the name of security and not allowing unprivileged users from accessing this system log. While it's been brought up from time to time, Linux distributions are still generally allowing any user access to dmesg even though it may contain information that could help bad actors exploit the system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm, I already need sudo/root to execute dmesg command. (debian) Which distros are we talking about?

Comment

Debian kernels have enabled this since 4.8 kernel. back in year 2016.

Comment

Umm, good. I don't EVER want that. It should not be the default configuration of the kernel.

Restrict it on your system if you want that.

Comment

I don't use VirtualBox, why should I be punished? Granted it's not a huge issue but still.

Comment

Related:

Comment

Originally posted by Grogan View Post
              Umm, good. I don't EVER want that. It should not be the default configuration of the kernel.

Restrict it on your system if you want that.
              default config should be secure. if the powers that be deem that I need to type [strong]sudo dmesg -w[/strong] then so be it.
              I do not claim to be smarter than someone who's job it is to make that call

Comment

In my opinion, access to dmesg should be restricted to root, by default. I do that in all my systems via my ansible playbook.

This is important for various reasons, including privacy.

Remember, that all the good rootkits benefit by learning about the system they invade, the dmesg is one of the sources they use before infection.

I'd be interested to know why a normal user would want to read the dmesg, is there a benefit to that?

Comment

The funny thing is, /var/log/kern* is usually restricted to root. However, dmesg often contains the same content yet any user can view it. It's weird and stupid.

Comment

Slackware does this. It's kinda annoying to see the "read buffer kernel failed" message.

If I am the system's administrator, I should be able to read dmesg by default.

Comment

Working...
                    X