X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by higuita View Post
    There are other tools similar to dissenter, but that aren't full hate speech, use then instead

check this alternative
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...nt-aggregator/
    Plus, when I when searching, I had trouble finding solid, clear information on what they actually did with the dissenter extension and why.

Did they refuse to sign the extension or did they just refuse to host it on AMO? I can't get a clear answer on that.

Is the "abuse" they banned it for due to hate speech or is it because, in its default configuration, it phones home to tell them about every URL you load?

EDIT: OK, judging by the instructions on the dissenter site, it looks like they are refusing to sign it, rather than just refusing to promote it on AMO.

I still haven't found a clear answer on what specifically they got banned for though. According to one site, that's a lack of transparency on Mozilla's part and I don't approve of that.

However, if it was about privacy leaks, rather than hate speech, then I do stand by Mozilla's decision even as I disapprove of their approach to it.

Either way, it makes me glad that I write all my extensions as userscripts so they don't require signing. (Admittedly, I started doing that back before signing was a thing, so I could write one extension that installed on all browsers.)
    Last edited by ssokolow; 18 April 2019, 05:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• higuita
    replied
    There are other tools similar to dissenter, but that aren't full hate speech, use then instead

check this alternative
    Last edited by higuita; 18 April 2019, 05:16 PM. Reason: add link to alternative

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by pheldens View Post
    Mozzilla (and google) took dissenter add on off their store and is suppressing anybody who complains about it, unsigned, no addon can run in regular consumer browser builds longer than the session
    Thanks for bringing this up, I didn't know about this extension.

Political correctness puppets have been going out of their way to ban things that allow unencumbered free speech. Sad.

Leave a comment:

• pheldens
    replied
    Mozzilla (and google) took dissenter add on off their store and is suppressing anybody who complains about it, unsigned, no addon can run in regular consumer browser builds longer than the session

Leave a comment:

• Teggs
    replied
    There is nothing 'smart' about hooking your refrigerator, water heater, thermostat, security cameras, microphones, door locks, etc. up to the internet. It will not become a good idea no matter how relatively 'secure' or performant the control software may be.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Mozilla "WebThings" No Longer An Experiment

Mozilla "WebThings" No Longer An Experiment

Phoronix: Mozilla "WebThings" No Longer An Experiment

Mozilla WebThings is what was formerly known as "Project Things" while serving as an experiment around a platform for IoT devices on the web...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X