Systemd 242 Released With XBOOTLDR Support, Networkd L2TP Tunnels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    Vontade de mandar se fuder por causa do humor sarcástico, mas achei melhor deixar quieto mesmo
    Here, I google translated it for the plebs.

"I want to send you a fuck because of the sarcastic humor, but I thought it best to leave it quiet"

no need to thank me.

Comment

How to pronounce his name? Is it a polish name?
      With most "foreign" languages, you come miles closer to the actual pronunciation in that language if you take a "latin" (or almost any other European language than English) approach of pronouncing letters instead of the regular English pronunciation. (IMHO the way modern English is spelled and pronounced is totally broken; why didn't they stick to middle English).

Comment

Originally posted by jukk View Post

With most "foreign" languages, you come miles closer to the actual pronunciation in that language if you take a "latin" (or almost any other European language than English) approach of pronouncing letters instead of the regular English pronunciation. (IMHO the way modern English is spelled and pronounced is totally broken; why didn't they stick to middle English).
        French is is equally bad at this, if not worse - I'm saying thid as someone who has French as his second native language. Someone tweeted this brilliant catch, unfortunately I can't find the source so hopefully the author won't mind if I reproduce it here without proper attribution:

The French word for "birds" is spelled "oiseaux" but is pronounced "wazo". That's SEVEN letters and not a single one of them is pronounced the normal way in this word!

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

French is is equally bad at this, if not worse - I'm saying thid as someone who has French as his second native language. Someone tweeted this brilliant catch, unfortunately I can't find the source so hopefully the author won't mind if I reproduce it here without proper attribution:

The French word for "birds" is spelled "oiseaux" but is pronounced "wazo". That's SEVEN letters and not a single one of them is pronounced the normal way in this word!
          Agree.

Comment

Originally posted by r08z View Post
            Disgusting™
            You know what is disgusting? Every systemd thread must have a troll post, almost by rule.

Comment

How to pronounce his name? Is it a polish name?
              It is severely polish; can be pronounced more-less like this:

Zbigniew = Zbeeg-neev (g like in game, ee short)
              Jędrzejewski = Yęd-she-yev-skee
              Szmek = Shmeck

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

You know what is disgusting? Every systemd thread must have a troll post, almost by rule.
                It wouldn't be a proper systemd thread without the trolls and haters. Now pass the popcorn please!

Comment

Well, systemd turned me into a newt.

I got better.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

The "oi" digraph is always pronounced "wa" in French. "s" is pronounced "z" when surrounded by vowels. "eau" is always pronounced "o", "x" is the standard silent plural indicator used after "eau".

A good example about the difficulty of English pronunciation is how the word "ghoti" could be pronounced "fish": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoti.

French as a much simpler pronunciation than English. The rules are complicated, much more than for Esperanto, but at least, they are general rules and few exceptions. Once you have learned the general rules of French pronunciation, you can read nearly all french words without making any error. And lots of the few exceptions, like "clef" or "oignon", have received a rectified orthography ("clé" and "ognon"), sadly often not applied by some educated people who think their knowledge of orthography makes them intellectually superior. (Which is not true, this is why we say "l'orthographe est la science des ânes", in English "orthography is stupid's science".)

This is not true the other way through. Knowing pronunciation rules absolutely does not enable you to write French correctly. There is usually no way to know when to write "en" or "an", or "f" or "ph" (without etymological knowledge).

French's writing rules are definitely not perfect, and more complicated than Spanish's or Italian's one for example. But English is widely recognized by linguists to have one of the most complicated pronunciation rules set, due to the large number of irregularity and the lack of general rules. This is the opposite for grammar rules through. French one are pretty complicated (even if it doesn't have complicated declension rules like German) while English ones are simple in general; both languages having a significant number of exceptions.

Now, as for English, French definitely deserves a brutal orthography simplification, but this is not easy, since people who spent (should say lost) a significant amount of time learning orthography can accept the idea that all this work that supposedly gave them (or proved their) intellectual superiority is useless. But they will eventually lose the battle, as always, because it's progress's requirements. Or maybe mankind will engage a reaction/devolution process that will return humans to their previous states of (non-human) apes.

"Complicated vs simple", it has a taste of a Systemd debate. It's the base subject after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I hope this means Fedora will stop using grub by default.
                      No, it doesn't mean that. GRUB2 has a much more expansive feature set and systemd-boot only targets EFI systems. GRUB2 in Fedora 30 however is patched to support the freedesktop.org bootloader spec (which originates from systemd).

Comment

Working...
                      X