No announcement yet.

Lennart Poettering Points Out That Fedora Workstation Could Lose Some Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lennart Poettering Points Out That Fedora Workstation Could Lose Some Weight

Phoronix: Lennart Poettering Points Out That Fedora Workstation Could Lose Some Weight

Well known open-source developer Lennart Poettering has shined some light onto Fedora Workstation's packaging state that it could be beneficial reducing the set of packages installed by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I opened the news expecting to see him propose something along the lines of:
    Code:
    find / ! -name systemd-* -exec rm -f {} \;

Comment

These comments are so predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        I opened the news expecting to see him propose something along the lines of:
        Code:
        find / ! -name systemd-* -exec rm -f {} \;
        Yeh. I expected him to find the answer to life, the universe and everything but I guess we'll both wrong.

5. libvirtd. Why is this running? Can't we make this socket activatable + exit-on-idel?
        This seems like a good idea, libvirtd is running using 15MB of memory doing exactly nothing until it's needed. Tbh CUPS should be an socket too.
        Last edited by Britoid; 11 April 2019, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          These comments are so predictable.
          Wait, you mean that you expected Phoronix forums not to jump to Gnome and systemd trolling whenever any of Lennart Poettring, Red Hat or Fedora is mentionned?

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

Wait, you mean that you expected Phoronix forums not to jump to Gnome and systemd trolling whenever any of Lennart Poettring, Red Hat or Fedora is mentionned?
            Dweebian isn't the entire forums

Comment

These days I dont care about disk space so much. But I dislike having so many running services by default. Linux is nice and modular but really needs a better services model. CUPs doesn't need to run until I have a print job. In my use case I rarely print anything. Configure a printer and dont start until I want to print.
              I for one really hope the packaged application and supporting libraries makes further inroads. I'm tired of obscure packages not running due to some dependency on a specific package or version that aren't readily available anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
                CUPs doesn't need to run until I have a print job.
                systemd can do this. CUPS needs updating I'd imagine.

Comment

actually i thought he would advocte ddumping everything *but* systemd, pulseaudio, etc. systemd/linux is the future rite?

Comment

but it was pointed out in the ensuing discussion that as a limitation of Fedora's live install capabilities, the packages present on the live install get transferred over to the resulting installation...
                    OK, that is pretty crappy and needs to be fixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X