X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hreindl View Post

well, i have the postion that i can deal with

a) i don't need to give a shit wo else is using something i use for my ego
    b) the userbase is ignorant and the large part with open mouth like you dumb
    c) is untrue, there can be as many alternatives as lied, i don#t care, the world don't care, use them and creep away
    Are you forgetting already? It was you who wrote what c) is....
    Originally posted by hreindl View Post
    c) nobody cares about "anywhere else" in 2019
    And you're right, c) certainly is untrue. It's why a) and b) are also untrue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Britoid View Post
      > 5. libvirtd. Why is this running? Can't we make this socket activatable + exit-on-idel?
      This seems like a good idea, libvirtd is running using 15MB of memory doing exactly nothing until it's needed. Tbh CUPS should be an socket too.
      There is a old daemon that do that for tcp/udp, its called superdaemon, inetd! (or xinetd as a more advanced version) It is simple and uses little resources, just listen to the tcp/udp ports and calls the needed program to reply to that request. Do not really know if it can also support unix sockets

so using xinetd or systemd, doing that kind of setup is simple WHEN the target daemon support that kind of "oneshot" request. Those little used daemons must be patched to support this kind of setup

Comment

• Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        Yeh. I expected him to find the answer to life, the universe and everything but I guess we'll both wrong.

This seems like a good idea, libvirtd is running using 15MB of memory doing exactly nothing until it's needed. Tbh CUPS should be an socket too.
        Though CUPS would need to be a couple of sockets, not sure if the various sockets it can be activated by are one process or several.

Comment

• Back on topic, about Fedora loosing weight, I have to agree that Fedora Workstation installs tons of packages that may not be needed in 90% of the installations out there, like Smart Cards, iscsi, sssd, and others.

For example, one of my ansible playbooks removes the following packages by default on first install of a new Fedora system:

powerline, powerline-fonts, tmux-powerline, vim-powerline, vim-enhanced, pocl, ibus, ibus-cangjie, abrt, avahi, bluez, colord, gss*, cyrus-sasl-gssapi, *vnc*, iscsi*, iscsi-initiator-utils, sssd*, sssd, sssd-ad, sssd-client, sssd-common, sssd-common-pac, sssd-ipa, sssd-krb5, sssd-krb5-common, sssd-ldap, sssd-nfs-idmap, sssd-proxy, mcelog*, thunderbird, transmission, transmission-gtk, transmission-common, pidgin, *xaw*, xawtv, *setroubleshoot*, setroubleshoot-server, setroubleshoot-plugins, *dragora*, sos, plymouth, plymouth-core-libs, plymouth-graphics-libs, plymouth-plugin-label, plymouth-plugin-two-step, plymouth-scripts, plymouth-system-theme, plymouth-theme-charge, php-fpm, dnfdragora-updater, dnfdragora, xmlrpc-c, virtualbox-guest-additions, satyr, mariadb-gssapi-server, mariadb-rocksdb-engine, mariadb-tokudb-engine, tigervnc-server-minimal, fprintd, fprintd-pam, qemu-guest-agent, hyperv-daemons, hyperv-daemons-license, hypervfcopyd, hypervkvpd, hypervvssd, iodine-client, isdn4k-utils, lvm2, mactel-boot, ModemManager, onboard, spice-vdagent, teamd, open-vm-tools, open-vm-tools-desktop, realmd

and thats just one of the playbooks, there is another one that removes other types of packages... for a better desktop experience, I use the Cinnamon spin, of course, not that gnome3 garbage.

Comment

Working...
          X