Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning C++ from a Linux point of view?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Read the CodingStyle and ManagementStyle docs from a kernel release.
    They actually make pretty good reading
    Hey, I never thought of that! Interesting, I will check it out, thanks!

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
    I see you live in Groningen, nice city I live there to.
    Yeah I really like it too, quite fond of the people and ambiance

Pascal experience?, was this turbo pascal or delphi or just pascal?
    I did both Pascal and Turbo Pascal, but mostly the former, so no real OO experience in Pascal.

In general: better not start with a reference manual or worse a visual oriented programming book, both have a high level of bullshit info and consume to much of your time. There is a reason no school ever uses either of these two types.
    I actually got "Programming, Principles and Practice Using C++" from Bjarne Stroustrup in the mail yesterday (finally!) and just gotten started in it (read the introductional chapters), will post back if I get to the hands-on section, but so far their practical no BS style looks appealing! I'm quite swamped with work lately, so it could take a while tough...

Comment

glad I found this thread! I just got back on campus, and was considering starting to hack again. Took a just-plain-old C class a few years back, and I brought the book with me to try and get back in the habit. The plan was to thumb through that, then go to C++ and Qt (thinking about contributing to the desktop I've used for ages).

Comment

Originally posted by StefanHamminga View Post
        I actually got "Programming, Principles and Practice Using C++" from Bjarne Stroustrup in the mail yesterday (finally!) and just gotten started in it (read the introductional chapters), will post back if I get to the hands-on section, but so far their practical no BS style looks appealing! I'm quite swamped with work lately, so it could take a while tough...

Have fun with it...

Comment

Does anyone have any words on The Design and Evolution of C++? I don't truthfully like C++, but it seems like an intriguing book nonetheless. I should rather like it were Dennis Ritchie to write a similar volume.

Comment

Working...
          X