Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Fastest Linux Distributions For Web Browsing - Firefox + Chrome Benchmarks On Eight Distros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

openSUSE CPU governor runs in "powersave" mode by default
    This sounds like the more likely culprit.

I doubt it's Baloo, since it's a fresh install and he doesn't have ~/ loaded up with any files. Also Balloo is usually pretty good about stepping back when other more important things are trying to use the CPU.

Comment

the openSUSE CPU governor runs in "powersave" mode by default
      Is there any distro that doesn't do that? It's certainly that way on my F29, which does perform well in these tests.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
        After having used Chrome for ~8 years, I thought now would be a good time to switch back to Firefox. However, Firefox on Linux scrolls terribly (Arch Linux). I get there are fixes for smooth scrolling, but why in 2019 doesn't Firefox on Linux have good defaults that don't require tweaking.
        Quantum Firefox is quite better than the previous Firefox, I don't use any particular Firefox tweaks but likely extensions that disable all the HTML5 craps mostly by Gugl... However I have never used Chrome on Debian but Chromium which while it has been always more responsive than Firefox it was also a memory hog compared with the former, however I always had the feeling that most of the issues with Firefox depend by crappy javascript optimized only for Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by sb56637 View Post

This sounds like the more likely culprit.

I doubt it's Baloo, since it's a fresh install and he doesn't have ~/ loaded up with any files. Also Balloo is usually pretty good about stepping back when other more important things are trying to use the CPU.
          Any time I do a fresh install of Tumbleweed, balloo goes crazy for the first day or so. And it interrupts processes randomly, once every 5 minutes or so it will just decide to max out all cores. I wouldn't know what his systems are doing without sitting in front of them.

Comment

In other words, its performance benefits are coming from all the tuning and configuration lower in the stack
            Uhm, nope. Given how much effort Mozilla put into optimizing its compiler toolchain usage with things like LTO and PGO, it's kinda expected that official binaries will be a bit faster than the ones compiled by distributions themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post

Is there any distro that doesn't do that? It's certainly that way on my F29, which does perform well in these tests.
              It isn't a normal power setting that's accessible from the desktop. It's an actual CPU governor that down-throttles the max frequency of the CPU, and is only accessible if you download and use the tools in the cpupower command line package to change the cpufreq settings. I hope you don't have that on Fedora. It really shouldn't be default on openSUSE.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                After having used Chrome for ~8 years, I thought now would be a good time to switch back to Firefox. However, Firefox on Linux scrolls terribly (Arch Linux). I get there are fixes for smooth scrolling, but why in 2019 doesn't Firefox on Linux have good defaults that don't require tweaking.
                It's because mozilla are retards and you have to open about:config in a tab and enable xrender acceleration.

Comment

It isn't a normal power setting that's accessible from the desktop. It's an actual CPU governor that down-throttles the max frequency of the CPU, and is only accessible if you download and use the tools in the cpupower command line package to change the cpufreq settings. I hope you don't have that on Fedora. It really shouldn't be default on openSUSE.
                  What's the recommended way of checking this?

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

It's because mozilla are retards and you have to open about:config in a tab and enable xrender acceleration.
                  When you go to conferences, do you get close to Mozilla employees and then call them retarded? Consider why it is the way it is, because since they have the capability of having hardware acceleration but are not enabling it by default, there must be more to it than that.

Comment

Anytime you move millions of data blocks around, the snapshots that previously pointed at those blocks run the risk of corruption. A good backup strategy (not just snapshots) would be in order prior to playing around with btrfs balance.

EDIT: And I don't think you would want btrfs balance running automatically. Or at least I wouldn't. I'd want to be running very close control over the system if I decided to balance.
                    A good backup startegy is absolutely required if you use btrfs, you -will- need to restore from them sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post

What's the recommended way of checking this?

When you go to conferences, do you get close to Mozilla employees and then call them retarded? Consider why it is the way it is, because since they have the capability of having hardware acceleration but are not enabling it by default, there must be more to it than that.
                      Oh, I'm pretty certain they must know themselves that they have made some extremely retarded decisions. Not enabling -xrender- of all things must be among the very top of those.

Comment

Working...
                      X