Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CloudFlare Launches "BoringTun" As Rust-Written WireGuard User-Space Implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CloudFlare Launches "BoringTun" As Rust-Written WireGuard User-Space Implementation

Phoronix: CloudFlare Launches "BoringTun" As Rust-Written WireGuard User-Space Implementation

Add CloudFlare to the list of companies interested in WireGuard as an open-source, next-gen secure network tunnel solution. CloudFlare even ended up writing their own user-space implementation of WireGuard in the Rust programming language, meet BoringTun...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad it is the 3-clause BSD license and not the 2-clause BSD license. 😢

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Too bad it is the 3-clause BSD license and not the 2-clause BSD license. 😢
      You really wanted to use the names of the copyright holders or the contributors to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission?

Because that's the only difference between a 3-clause and a 2-clause license, and imho very fair to ask.

Comment

This is interesting, as it's both an application and a crossplatform library.

Comment

This isn't the first time that a 3rd party implementation of WireGuard explicitly does not want to work together with the WireGuard community. I wonder if there is some kind of problem with the WireGuard community.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
            This isn't the first time that a 3rd party implementation of WireGuard explicitly does not want to work together with the WireGuard community. I wonder if there is some kind of problem with the WireGuard community.
            I'm not sure I understand:
            -where does it say it does not want to work with WireGuard community
            -why would it even need to work with Wireguard community, Wireguard has a public protocol
            -what are the other examples of this behaviour

Comment

Found this on Reddit, might be useful to the discussion https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/wi...ch/004048.html

Comment

> WireGuard took to creating BoringTun as they wanted a user-space solution

Michael, I think you meant:
                Cloudflare took to creating BoringTun

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  You really wanted to use the names of the copyright holders or the contributors to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission?

Because that's the only difference between a 3-clause and a 2-clause license, and imho very fair to ask.
                  No, I just like licenses to be short, concise and easy to understand. With as little text as possible, so that there is as little confusion and room for diverse interpretation as possible.

Comment

"Very fast" and "Rust" in the same sentence is an oxymoron.

Comment

Working...
                    X