X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by treba View Post

Thanks for the benchmark! Although the motionmark benchmark puzzles me...it's one of the things where webrender should shine. For comparison, see https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...der-beta&num=2
    My guess is it isn't turning on for some reason. The chance is very slim two different renderers should perform basically the same in several scenarios. Or maybe there's a bottleneck elsewhere holding both renderers back.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Tell me, what do you understand from this quote:
    I was referring specifically to that quote already, and since I'm not a little shit like you I'm not going to post only a snippet of it.

C++ is a horrible language. It's made more horrible by the fact that a lot of substandard programmers use it, to the point where it's much much easier to generate total and utter crap with it. Quite frankly, even if the choice of C were to do *nothing* but keep the C++ programmers out, that in itself would be a huge reason to use C.

In other words: the choice of C is the only sane choice. I know Miles Bader jokingly said "to piss you off", but it's actually true. I've come to the conclusion that any programmer that would prefer the project to be in C++ over C is likely a programmer that I really *would* prefer to piss off, so that he doesn't come and screw up any project I'm involved with.

C++ leads to really really bad design choices. You invariably start using the "nice" library features of the language like STL and Boost and other total and utter crap, that may "help" you program, but causes:

- infinite amounts of pain when they don't work (and anybody who tells me that STL and especially Boost are stable and portable is just so full of BS that it's not even funny)

- inefficient abstracted programming models where two years down the road you notice that some abstraction wasn't very efficient, but now all your code depends on all the nice object models around it, and you cannot fix it without rewriting your app.

In other words, the only way to do good, efficient, and system-level and portable C++ ends up to limit yourself to all the things that are basically available in C. And limiting your project to C means that people don't screw that up, and also means that you get a lot of programmers that do actually understand low-level issues and don't screw things up with any idiotic "object model" crap.

So I'm sorry, but for something like git, where efficiency was a primary objective, the "advantages" of C++ is just a huge mistake. The fact that we also piss off people who cannot see that is just a big additional advantage.

If you want a VCS that is written in C++, go play with Monotone. Really.

They use a "real database". They use "nice object-oriented libraries". They use "nice C++ abstractions". And quite frankly, as a result of all these design decisions that sound so appealing to some CS people, the end result is a horrible and unmaintainable mess.

But I'm sure you'd like it more than git.

Linus

Sounds to me like it's about the programmers instead of just the language itself, as you imply.
    That's because you are a little shit.

As you can clearly see above, more than 70% of the actual message is spent whining about C++ features or libraries. I'm personally in agreement about his "object model is crap" general theme.

Of course he is also calling idiots all the people that think the features he hates are good, but that's just a logical consequence of hating C++ language features.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 24 March 2019, 12:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• treba
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Apparently it doesn't: https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...SK-MERGE640078
    I messed up the labeling, but run #1 is no WebRender, hw acceleration on, run #2 is both WebRender and hw acceleration on and run #3 is both off.
    The only thing I see in there is a heavy hit from forcing hw acceleration on. For some reason run #3 for WebXPRT got lost in the merge, but the score was 216. So everything is unchanged to the point I'm wondering whether WebRender is really enabled (it is reported as such in about:support
    Thanks for the benchmark! Although the motionmark benchmark puzzles me...it's one of the things where webrender should shine. For comparison, see https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...der-beta&num=2

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I don't think Weasel is an idiot. A lot of his posts are very carefully constructed to start flamewars, and most of the stupid stuff he says is just ignoring stuff and throwing out strawmen arguments. Every now and then he actually has some intelligent points, it just depends on the topic. Anything with X/Wayland or languages, and you know it's not going to be.
    I'm not really trolling though. The thing is, I'm tired of detailing reasons why it attracts subpar programmers or it makes them write subpar code etc... in every topic about it. So I just make a short post about it. That's why I usually just bash on Rust without a deep explanation.

While it may seem like trolling, it's not always.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by hreindl View Post
    it's amazing how dumb you are no matter the topic
    Says the retard who uses Linus' kernel. Must be tough using something written by someone with "dumb" opinions, what a tool you are.

Go use FreeBSD or something.

Oh wait you can't because no systemd.

Man, you really are fucked.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Really, the main reason he does not want C++ in the kernel right now is that he does not see benefit in using most C++ features at all (which is 100% understandable as they were made for userspace application development, aka to abstract complexity so that the developer can deal with it faster)
    Tell me, what do you understand from this quote:

Originally posted by Linus Torvalds
    C++ is a horrible language. It's made more horrible by the fact that a lot of substandard programmers use it, to the point where it's much much easier to generate total and utter crap with it. Quite frankly, even if the choice of C were to do *nothing* but keep the C++ programmers out, that in itself would be a huge reason to use C.
    Sounds to me like it's about the programmers instead of just the language itself, as you imply. Would help if you guys actually understood things instead of believing just what you wanted.

Guess how it is with Rust?

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by down1 View Post

Rusty is an idiom meaning "out of practice".
    I know what it means. But in the sentence it makes no sense to a native english speaker. I could get at the general meaning he was going for just by context, which was "crappy programmers" but if that's what he meant he should have just said it.

I wasn't sure if he was fully aware it made no sense but said it anyway out of some attempt to try and be "clever" by using the name of the programming language, or if he really thought that it might make sense and he was being really clever by using it properly.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by hreindl View Post

there is a difference between trolls and idiots, Weasel for sure is an idiot and means his output from a head full of shit serious
    I don't think Weasel is an idiot. A lot of his posts are very carefully constructed to start flamewars, and most of the stupid stuff he says is just ignoring stuff and throwing out strawmen arguments. Every now and then he actually has some intelligent points, it just depends on the topic. Anything with X/Wayland or languages, and you know it's not going to be.

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    I like the tip about disabling downloadable fonts. Probably not a big issue in my use case as I normally close unknown pages that don't open without JS turned on for them,, and I am not working with document rendering or any languages requireing special fonts. Turning that off fulltime in about: config by setting
    gfx.downloadable_fonts.enabled to FALSE as I was not aware a font could ship code as well as the font itself, and had regarded it mostly as a tracker hazard.

Leave a comment:

• trek
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke View Post
    I will NOT permit Firefox in default setup to connect to the Internet at all, not even once. My Firefox setup looks like one from 15 years ago would on an Internet totally devoid of ads and to trackers should look like a ghost.

I uninstalled Chromium in the 2012 era when browser fingerprinting became a commonly known cookieless tracking attack mode. In testing browsers with Panopticlick, it wasn't too hard to configure Firefox to be untrackable by a random site when JS is disabled, but was impossible in Chromium, which probably is designed by Google to be as trackable as possible since Google's primary business is targetted advertising.
    I have the same attitude, if you are interested, I'm tracking useful firefox options on my page: http://www.trek.eu.org/text/firefox-tuning.html

please tell me if I missed some important options you use to enhance privacy or security

Leave a comment:

Working...
X