A Quick Look At The Firefox 66.0 vs. Chrome 73.0 Performance Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nranger View Post

Rather than clang vs gcc, I'd be willing to bet some of Firefox's performance shortcomings are a Windows vs. Linux issue. Go read bugzilla issues around enabling performance related features - multi-threading, webrender, GPU acceleration, etc. and devs are continuously refusing to turn on the Linux defaults. GPU drivers for Linux still get blamed, and while Google is trying to improve the situation with drivers (incentivized by ChromeOS), Mozilla just claims it's not their fault and moves on.

If I'm sounding overly harsh to Firefox, that's not my intent. I actually prefer Firefox since it uses less memory than Chrome, has been less crash prone, and doesn't ship my data off to Google. Even if it is slower on a few render benchmarks, Firefox still runs great on my slow quad core AMD APU laptop.
    Or you can rely in the safe, Quant search engine...

Because using a browser which protects you,
    But then using google for search's...its almost the same, has using Chrome..

Comment

Mikael, can you also run a benchmark on privacy? Firefox might be slower (in benchmarks) but in real world browsing it is not that bad. And it doesn't spy on you.

Comment

If Firefox used proper C or C++ instead of that crap called Rust, it would easily beat Chrome. Easily.

Comment

it would be nice if firefox nightly was added as that would show the performance benefits that upcoming webrender and other improvements are going to make, maybe even chrome nightly too.

Comment

Michael, I'm 99% certain Clear Linux uses the official Mozilla binary and does not compile Firefox at all. Their package makes it install correctly, but it is not a custom build. That's why there isn't any performance difference.

Comment

I've use a wide variety of browsers, but lately have been using Firefox because on my Windows 10 PC with an i5-7600K Firefox is much faster than Chrome. And Webrender is going to be coming out in FF 67 if it doesn't get delayed. I ran Webrender in nightly and it's much faster than the old renderer. On my Ubuntu I usually use FF so I can sync everything with my Windows PC, but on Ubuntu it seems Chrome is faster than FF.

Comment

tldr: don't use rust if you want performance

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
                  tldr: don't use rust if you want performance
                  Webrender isn't enabled in these tests.. .so what are you on about? This is mostly still the C++ codebase.

As can be seen here Rust trades blows pretty well with C++ https://benchmarksgame-team.pages.de.../rust-gpp.html

Comment

Originally posted by kyrios View Post
                    In real world situations in which specific cases is there a noticeable performances difference?
                    Funny thing, I have an angularjs 1.x SPA which in some cases generate very large pages (tables/lot of inputs/etc) - Chrome barely usable with them, while FF is still rather smooth. I'll not argue about poor page design or JS code quality, but with code as is FF works faster for users of this SPA.

Comment

Originally posted by kyrios View Post
                      In real world situations in which specific cases is there a noticeable performances difference?
                      Yes in everyday usage, like switching tabs and browsing history.

Comment

Working...
                      X