Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hreindl View Post

they should fine your parents for set an idiot into this world
    I've come to realise that he's just trolling. I can't think of why someone would say what he says other than to just cause arguments.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Nope.
      Nope again.
      You need a hard time to remove sysvinit or even OpenRC. It's a hard time to remove any core component of the system.

Sorry what? Are you seriously unable to remove Network Manager? It's as easy as zypper remove NetworkManager
      I replaced it with ConnMan because it was not playing nice with VMWare (not playing nice as in "fucks up network access for the VMs"), but apart from that it's ok.
      1) In relation to SysvInit, there should be there a agreement between all major players, at least,( not only the most corporate 1, now IBM ).
      2) If you don find an agreement for the default init System, them the only Solution to fit us all,
      Is to find a Standardized API, that could be made by all..
      In this way, we would not have problems with systemd, we simply could ignore him, or any other in the System..
      Off-course SysVinit should have adjustments to comply, like any other init out there, but maintain its simplicity..
      In this way we would not even speak about this subject..
      3) The crucial problem of Debian...
      Debian is NOT Gnome, and those guys loosed the perspective( This one, for those who knows what I am talking about ).
      Debian is a lot more used, or used to be, in the Datacenter, than as a desktop..
      I Understand the desire of also bring Debian to the Desktop, because it can make a good system..
      But if, The Intentional Bad Decisions, were not made,
      We would not have this problem now..

I agree that is difficult for any core component, its precisely because of that, that should be Standardise a process, for everyone( to simplify it.. )

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
        1) In relation to SysvInit, there should be there a agreement between all major players, at least,( not only the most corporate 1, now IBM ).
        The agreement has been found, they decided all together they didn't want it anymore, and that systemd was the way to go.

2) If you don find an agreement for the default init System, them the only Solution to fit us all,
        Is to find a Standardized API, that could be made by all..
        What's wrong with using systemd's API? It's already standardized, stable and works pretty well.

In this way, we would not have problems with systemd, we simply could ignore him, or any other in the System..
        Off-course SysVinit should have adjustments to comply, like any other init out there, but maintain its simplicity..
        Good luck turning SysVinit into something that actually follows an API without "losing its simplicity". As it is it's just calling scripts one after another.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

Hum...
          I am not sure that you described linux..
          Hurd and other {u,n}kernels perhaps..
          The size of a typical amd64 Linux 5 kernel is around 30-50 MB. I'm pretty sure the userspace is larger even if you only consider small compressed live linux distros

Comment

Look at Slackware, it's BSD style gives one init script to each runlevel - but it's still actually using SysV not BSD's RC.d.
            But in "normal" SysV init basically each runlevel is given a subdirectory for init scripts.
            ​​​​​​Welcome to the maze of symlinked init scripts.

Why go easy way, lets spend thousands of man hours.. Lets replace half the GNU/Linux instead of considering existing alternatives..
            Last edited by aht0; 23 March 2019, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Try Slackware, before storming to troll, willya

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
                slackware is more or less the origin of most distributions today, guess why they are successful and slackware is not
                Well, Slack-Ware, still is, more Successful than Fedora will ever be..

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post
                  I knew reading the comments would be a complete waste of time, but I read them anyway. OMFG, people. if you don't like systemd, use a distro (Slackware, Devuan, gentoo) that doesn't use it and stop bellyaching. Just once I want to read the comments on a systemd article and find useful technical information / experiences and not just the chicken clucking of a bunch of whiny bitches.
                  Those useful technical information that you so crave can't come from me when my favorite IDE, debugger, compiler, runtime, .. only officially support the systemd-cancerd ridden distros. You people think that we're masochists and like to suffer?

Comment

Originally posted by FastCode View Post
                    Those useful technical information that you so crave can't come from me when my favorite IDE, debugger, compiler, runtime, .. only officially support the systemd-cancerd ridden distros. You people think that we're masochists and like to suffer?
                    You generally don't need to use an officially supported distro to run software you need. There's alien to convert packages, various distros provide unofficial versions, and generally there's a tar.gz file you can use as a last resort. It's a little more work (If it were me, I'd just learn how to use systemd, which is actually for the most part rather nice once you get used to it), but entirely do-able, and when you install from .tgz you have a much better understanding of how your system works.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Someone did....but our blacklist doesn't actually work...

There's also the option of using a plugin like FoxReplace...it can make Phoronix fun...check out Gentoo's latest init system for example.
                      I hope for a good and universal text context filter some day, I'm testing Tune extension but it is limited to some services, but is surprisingly "good", it is boring to filter good technical info when more than half posts are hate.

Comment

Working...
                      X