No announcement yet.

Stadia Is Google's Cloud Gaming Service Using Linux, Vulkan & A Custom AMD GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stadia Is Google's Cloud Gaming Service Using Linux, Vulkan & A Custom AMD GPU

Phoronix: Stadia Is Google's Cloud Gaming Service Using Linux, Vulkan & A Custom AMD GPU

Google used the annual Game Developers Conference (GDC 2019) to officially unveil "Stadia" as their cloud-based game streaming service formerly known as Project Stream...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll make sure to stay away from it 😉

Comment

I'm never gonna use it because google and cloud gaming. However, the fact that it's going to use Linux and Vulkan is great news.
      If a game developer wants to be part of it they have to port their game to Linux/Vulkan? Am I understanding it correctly?

Comment

I wonder if they use RADV as the vulkan driver or maybe a custom version of AMDVLK-{Pro}?
        Anyways, this means that AC:Odyssey, which was part of the project stream beta, probably has a vulkan renderer and linux build, which will most likely never be released publicly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjuro View Post
          If a game developer wants to be part of it they have to port their game to Linux/Vulkan? Am I understanding it correctly?
          No, Valkan has cross-platform API, it should be ported if dev uses some platform-specific calls.

Comment

Originally posted by bvbfan View Post
            No, Valkan has cross-platform API, it should be ported if dev uses some platform-specific calls.
            Um... Yes.
            The games will run natively on Linux/Vulkan in Google's data centres.

Comment

Stadia servers run on Linux, and we saw Assassin's Creed Oddysey and Doom Eternal on it, both of these are Windows only. I hope this makes possible more Linux ports of AAA games.

Comment

So when was the last time id Software made a game in Linux?

Comment

Not only should Google's use of AMD GPUs help improve the open-source drivers but they could be a pretty substantial boost in AMD's revenue, which hopefully means better products.

Comment

So they will take all the work Codeweaver + Steam + Mesa developers did, and get money from it without even contributing, that is like a smack on the face, especially for Steam.

Comment

Working...
                    X