No announcement yet.

Stadia Is Google's Cloud Gaming Service Using Linux, Vulkan & A Custom AMD GPU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stadia Is Google's Cloud Gaming Service Using Linux, Vulkan & A Custom AMD GPU

Phoronix: Stadia Is Google's Cloud Gaming Service Using Linux, Vulkan & A Custom AMD GPU

Google used the annual Game Developers Conference (GDC 2019) to officially unveil "Stadia" as their cloud-based game streaming service formerly known as Project Stream...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...a-Vulkan-Linux

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll make sure to stay away from it 😉

Comment

I'm never gonna use it because google and cloud gaming. However, the fact that it's going to use Linux and Vulkan is great news.
      If a game developer wants to be part of it they have to port their game to Linux/Vulkan? Am I understanding it correctly?

Comment

I wonder if they use RADV as the vulkan driver or maybe a custom version of AMDVLK-{Pro}?
        Anyways, this means that AC:Odyssey, which was part of the project stream beta, probably has a vulkan renderer and linux build, which will most likely never be released publicly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjuro View Post
          If a game developer wants to be part of it they have to port their game to Linux/Vulkan? Am I understanding it correctly?
          No, Valkan has cross-platform API, it should be ported if dev uses some platform-specific calls.

Comment

Originally posted by bvbfan View Post
            No, Valkan has cross-platform API, it should be ported if dev uses some platform-specific calls.
            Um... Yes.
            The games will run natively on Linux/Vulkan in Google's data centres.

Comment

Stadia servers run on Linux, and we saw Assassin's Creed Oddysey and Doom Eternal on it, both of these are Windows only. I hope this makes possible more Linux ports of AAA games.

Comment

So when was the last time id Software made a game in Linux?

Comment

Not only should Google's use of AMD GPUs help improve the open-source drivers but they could be a pretty substantial boost in AMD's revenue, which hopefully means better products.

Comment

So they will take all the work Codeweaver + Steam + Mesa developers did, and get money from it without even contributing, that is like a smack on the face, especially for Steam.

Comment

Working...
                    X