X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ldesnogu
    replied
    Originally posted by brad0 View Post
    NVIDIA just turned a great company and great product into worthless garbage. RIP Mellanox. Intel would have been a much better company to purchase them.
    What company did NVIDIA turn into worthless garbage?

Intel has a track record of killing perfectly good companies. I know many engineers who were affected by that.

Leave a comment:

• anarki2
    replied
    Ouch. I expect price hikes and restrictive EULAs. Please prove me wrong...

Leave a comment:

• Slithery
    replied
    I can see the support threads now...

'How do I install the Nvidia proprietary drivers needed to use my new NIC'.

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Although Nvidia probably doesn't need any of their tech
    Nvidia does things like the Shield and maybe more are coming. Those devices do need networking chips. An offline console in 2019+ could be hardly successful.

You can probably safely assume they won't put LAN ports on the next generation of video cards tho.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    I'm not liking the sound of this. Nvidia could've bought them out a while ago if they really wanted, but they seemed to do this only to spite Intel. What this means is Intel basically gave Nvidia a big hint as to what they were planning with Mellanox. Although Nvidia probably doesn't need any of their tech, at this point they're probably like "well we already spent all this money and hampered Intel's progress. Might as well make the most of this and integrate their tech into CUDA" which could mean Nvidia monopolizes even greater on GPU-based servers.

I would be very surprised if CUDA, Quadros, and Teslas don't see a major facelift in the next couple years.

It's not like I'd have wanted Intel to be the winning bidder either, but at least Intel is friendlier toward open standards.

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
    It's certainly better than the Intel alternative given what they did to most of the companies they acquired.
    NVIDIA just turned a great company and great product into worthless garbage. RIP Mellanox. Intel would have been a much better company to purchase them.

Leave a comment:

• ldesnogu
    replied
    It's certainly better than the Intel alternative given what they did to most of the companies they acquired.

Leave a comment:

• Redfoxmoon
    replied
    R.I.P company.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic NVIDIA Confirms It's Acquiring Mellanox

NVIDIA Confirms It's Acquiring Mellanox

Phoronix: NVIDIA Confirms Its Acquiring Mellanox

While earlier this month it looked like Intel was going to be the likely suitor to Mellanox Technologies, NVIDIA has managed to edge out Intel and the others bidding for the networking chip provider...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X