Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
    Did you even read what I replied to?
    Oops, I missed that bit of your post (was at work on my phone). I do apologise.
    Last edited by Slithery; 02 March 2019, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pcxmac View Post
      ...SystemD respects RedHat's profit margins and market share.
      And how does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        It would be awesome if this can be then used by Linux desktop environments to create a more complex restart menu like:
        -Restart into Linux (same distro)
        -Restart into Windows (or other operating system)
        Or even more complex like my Lineage OS has on my phone
        - Restart into System (same operating system)
        - Restart into Recovery mode
        - Restart into Download mode
        I don't know what Recovery and Download mode equivalent for Linux would be, but in any case the "Restart into Windows" for me would be very helpful.
        As I recall, your first suggestion was possible with SuSE almost 15 years ago (using GRUB)…

Comment

Well, good idea. But what about count of code lines? I really do not need a big rock to get some pretty alpinium... For Arch it is not a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

There are two ways to handle bootloader updates:
            1. Name your kernels/initrds/etc. after their version numbers and edit the configuration every time.
            2. Name your kernel something like /boot/vmlinuz and, whenever you do an upgrade, do something like cp vmlinuz vmlinuz-backup_boot; mv newkernel vmlinuz to change what the existing config points to.
            Yes, I knew, thanks. My complain just is about having to do this manually when Grub does it automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by Murple View Post

What do you mean?
              That I posted https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...40#post1083640 exactly above the post you see, but vBullettin forum decided to mark it as suspicious spam so it was hidden. Now it is shown because Michael has confirmed it isn't spam and let it through.

This "mark as spam and then reappear" bypasses the reply notifications, so you would not get notified that I replied to you, and that's why I posted the "unapproved post for Murple", so you know that in a few hours something will appear above it.

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post

Yes, I knew, thanks. My complain just is about having to do this manually when Grub does it automatically.
                to the risk of sounding like a shill, have you tried our lord and saviour rEFInd?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Dear GPT partition believers, post tested instructions how to clone a single GPT partition drive to a new drive.
                  I already did the last time you asked, https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...95#post1072695

Note how large part of it is to fix a Debian-specific issue that isn't an issue for other distros.

And I can assure you that it 100% works on my OpenSUSE Tumbleweed PCs, as that's what I actually do.

There are none in the Internet, so it is better to use MBR and Grub.
                  https://www.tecmint.com/linux-centos...ng-clonezilla/
                  https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/...tical-example/
                  https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...standard-tools

Comment

Can I use this without systemd or as any other "modular" services it must be forked out?
                    no, i'm forbidding you to even read specs without systemd

Comment

I'll just call that a systemd plugin, so our views on modularity won't be triggered.
                      why would you call bootloader spec "systemd plugin"? did systemd bite you when you was a child?
                      I just saw this only works with UEFI though, so for me the problem solved itself since I don't have a UEFI PC.
                      are you seeing dead people too? what happens to your brain when your eyes hover over "is text based, very simple and suitable for a variety of firmware, architecture and image types" ?

Comment

Working...
                      X