Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StefanBruens View Post

Stop your stupid self advertising!
    you mean like phoronix posting links all over the web? what am I selling? philosophical talk about better operating systems?

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

you mean like phoronix posting links all over the web? what am I selling? philosophical talk about better operating systems?
      Promoting philosophical computer design that does not involve systemd is heresy, you know this. Book of Poettering 3:11

Comment

I still don't get where all this obsession with minuscule changes to the boot procedure comes from. To me, one of the fundamental features of Unix is that you rarely have to boot at all. At work, I recently needed to equip a heavily used multi-user system with a 4.20.13 kernel because of the ugly af_alg local root exploit bug. The system had an uptime of over one year.

I could not care less if booting takes a few seconds more or has some screen flashing involved. It just does not matter.

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post

I haven't experienced this automatic entry upgrade In Ubuntu or Fedora systems...so this may be this something particular shipped in Arch (and thus, maybe out of scope of systemd-boot too). It's worth investigating
          there is no "automatic entry upgrade" nonsense. the entries haven't been changed since I set them up, because there's been no need for them to be changed.

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post

there is no "automatic entry upgrade" nonsense. the entries haven't been changed since I set them up, because there's been no need for them to be changed.
            So your system still boots with the same kernel, even if there's a newest one installed on your system due to an upgrade, doesn't it?

Comment

So your system still boots with the same kernel, even if there's a newest one installed on your system due to an upgrade, doesn't it?
              no? the updated kernel package replaces the old one.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
                We've already got GRUB though. I'll get the popcorn!
                It sounds like the point of this is basically to be to GRUB what the EFI System Partition is to the BIOS boot menu.

(ie. A means for multiple installed distros to cooperate on configuring the same bootloader, regardless of what that bootloader is as long as it implements the spec.)

There are two ways to handle bootloader updates:
                1. Name your kernels/initrds/etc. after their version numbers and edit the configuration every time.
                2. Name your kernel something like /boot/vmlinuz and, whenever you do an upgrade, do something like cp vmlinuz vmlinuz-backup_boot; mv newkernel vmlinuz to change what the existing config points to.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
                  We've already got GRUB though. I'll get the popcorn!
                  GRUB2, as used in Ubuntu, is a monstrosity though.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                    what am I selling?
                    Who knows? It's just that seeing random people interject in a forum to post one-liners and links to youtube looks like some cheap bot.

Btw are the videos monetized? (in the sense of ads and such) Not that I claim you are making anything noteworthy from it, I know even midsize youtubers mostly rely on true sponsorships and donations to stay alive now.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                      I still don't get where all this obsession with minuscule changes to the boot procedure comes from.
                      Desktop systems. You know, Linux isn't used only on servers.

Comment

Working...
                      X