AV1 Image File Format v1.0 Finalized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
    Wow... This thread is...insightful? No, that's not quite right.

1. hajj_3 thinks we would be better off with a patent-encumbered codec that's a complete wildcard for now, instead a more proven one that's simple to distribute.
    2. eydee has apparently never heard of hardware acceleration, which is due out at the end of this year.
    3. Marc Driftmeyer thinks HEVC is really going places when HEVC is the very reason AV1 was created to begin with.

I'm getting some coffee...
    Content is king. Hollywood and those that have over $100 billion invested in Production studios aren't moving to AV1 for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
      Content is king. Hollywood and those that have over $100 billion invested in Production studios aren't moving to AV1 for the future.
      HEVC is king only in third world countries like the US where internet speed sucks for most, and physical disks are still the prevalent way to get higher-than-fullHD media.

Streaming services like Netflix or Hulu are promoting or preparing to use AV1.

Hollywood and production studios in general don't give a shit about encoding/bitrate/color fidelity of the end product as they are not the distributor.
      It would be like saying music producers give a crap about mp3 or wav or flac or other formats.
      The master recording of anything is not usually encoded in consumer-grade lossy codec.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        only in third world countries like the US
        perhaps you already know this but anyway,
        first world countries were the ones allied with the NATO alliance, second world countries were those in the Warsaw Pact and the rest were called third world countries (not in NATO or the Warsaw Pact. So the US is a first world country (even though it's got stone-age tier Internet) and Sweden would be an example of an actual third world country even though it in practice acts like it's a part of NATO (technically it's not) and it's also not a second world country even though the government arrests citizens who write something critical of the regime like second world countries did.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
          perhaps you already know this
          Yes I do. I'm calling them "third world country" to describe their current sad state of affairs on many levels (not just internet).

Besides, since the "second world countries" has more or less fallen into disuse the meaning of the other two has more shifted to "rich countries" and "poor countries".

arrests citizens who write something critical of the regime like second world countries did.
          Third world countries can be (and many times are) shithole totalitarian regimes too, so you can safely classify Sweden as 100% certified third world.

Comment

Who would even ask them when it comes to the web? That's where Google is a king - obey or face your fate. Even MS moving to Chromium engine, mozilla wouldn't pay for software patents either. Content is worth of nothing if you can't deliver it - and web is surely appealing channel these days. Yet web browser devs and services just not going to pay for patents - face that. I think it pretty much enough time passed since <video> tag support appeared in some old IE, like 5.5 or 6. It has been over 10 years for sure. More than enough to get idea. Not even for video. Even less so for images. So JPEG & ISO can go to hell with their patent trolls feeding - at the end of day their proprietary formats would be pretty much useless. Just because you can't post images on the web. Neither browsers would recognize such images, nor web services would deal with these either. None of them is willing to pay for patents, no matter what patent trolls mumble.

On other hand, AV1 video decode is already in modern versions of browsers. Merely adding some little extra to decode still images isn't big deal and wouldn't take long once specs are finalized.

And who told about WebP... look, recently mozilla noticed users are driven off to Chrome/Chromium because Google services load faster. So Mozilla loses market share. How? Google serves WebP images to chrome-based browsers. These are smaller than JPEGs of equal quality. That's how they do it. It already forced mozilla to finally implement webp. At the end of day competition can get you off the radar if you prefer abstract mumblings over sanity . So now most web browsers support webp. And VP9 is so flippin dead most Youtube videos are served in VP9 these days by default. Just because it allows better quality at lower bitrate compared to H.264 and does not needs royalties. Even MS added it to their browsers - and would have it by default once they switch to blink. Google still improves VP9 quite considerably while AV1 gains steam. Oh, wait, now it not just Google. Some of AV1 contributors started to appear in VP9 commits as well, likely because it somewhat familiar to them. Since codecs started from same "core", devs eventually manage to backport improvements across projects, both ways. A very intereresting notion of "death". I guess someone would die for the real - but I guess it would be ISO and their lame working groups, only serving patent trolls. Who needs "standards" created that way? These aren't meant to be standards, just some tool to excersize extortion. H.265 gone so badly there is even infighting across various groups of trolls. Oh, look, HW companies were also part of AV1 - so HW support would surely follow. And it seems they were quite happy their "HW teams" can submit feedback on what's good and bad for them. Something that ISO & their H.26x were not able to afford. Maybe because they don't even had reasonable codec core, just abstract specs and everyone else is on their own. Which could surely be improved.

p.s. btw AV1 is pretty much jawdropping in terms of bitrate vs achieved quality, at least for videos.
            Last edited by SystemCrasher; 02 March 2019, 01:52 PM.

Comment

What Hollywood thinks is irrelevant. They are not the ones paying to distribute content. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and friends are.

Guess what codec they're behind?

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
                Sweden [...] arrests citizens who write something critical of the regime like second world countries did.
                No, it fucking doesn't. I think you spelled China wrong.

Third world countries can be (and many times are) shithole totalitarian regimes too, so you can safely classify Sweden as 100% certified third world.
                Sweden is literally ranked as one of the most democratic countries in the world.

Comment

So is there an AVIF encoder available anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
                    Sweden is literally ranked as one of the most democratic countries in the world.
                    While I was talking mostly of terminology as I'm not really into Sweden in any way, I do saw reports and stuff about some weird shit happening
                    You’re free in Sweden to be critical of immigration, those in power, or people identifying as “LBGT” — within the confines of your mind. But if you dare express those views ... that's a different matter. By Selwyn Duke

Apparently, turning in fellow Swedes to the authorities for alleged "hate speech" is now viewed in Sweden as "heroic". "One can criticize fascism or Nazism, but why not Islam? Why should Islam have any protection status?" — Denny, a 71-year-old

Comment

While I was talking mostly of terminology as I'm not really into Sweden in any way, I do saw reports and stuff about some weird shit happening
                      You’re free in Sweden to be critical of immigration, those in power, or people identifying as “LBGT” — within the confines of your mind. But if you dare express those views ... that's a different matter. By Selwyn Duke

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1...en-free-speech
                      Those are both far-right organizations cherry-picking information. Also, hate speech against minorities is not the same thing a criticizing the government.

Comment

Working...
                      X