Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AV1 Image File Format v1.0 Finalized

Phoronix: AV1 Image File Format v1.0 Finalized

The AV1 Image File Format (AVIF) appears solid now with it having been promoted to version 1.0.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope that AVIF doesn't take off, it is poor compared to the upcoming Jpeg XL that will be ratified later this year.

EDIT: This is still in draft, not finalised.
    Last edited by hajj_3; 28 February 2019, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
      I hope that AVIF doesn't take off, it is poor compared to the upcoming Jpeg XL that will be ratified later this year.

Why prefer JPEG XL when you (presumably) have not seen any test images? AVIF benefits from wide distribution of AV1 decoders (every Chrome install, and soon every Windows install should include one) and improvements made to encoders (of which there are at least half a dozen now).

Unless you are a contributor to JPEG XL, I can't imagine having any faith in it. Barely anything has been published about it except vague claims that it will be efficient, and might use wavelets.
      Last edited by microcode; 28 February 2019, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

I certainly wish for the opposite, and it looks quite good for now. The HEIF container format is well-thought, and supports still as well as animated images, in a variety of modern codecs. (Or so I heard, I haven't been able to access the spec for the container, unfortunately... Anyone has a link?).
        As for AVIF, it should avoid a lot of the patent issues that plague jpeg and HEVC (HEIC), while leveraging existing encoders and decoders (HW included). Animated images are supported as well.

I must say that this smells like an effort by the jpeg stakeholders to stay relevant. If Jpeg XL is really that superior, their new scheme could really help with inter-frame images in video codecs, thus help a future AV1+AVIF, yet still be contained in a HEIF file.

Interesting short discussion: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17356913

--
        I was eagerly waiting for this release. Is there a standard pronunciation, though? :P
        Last edited by M@yeulC; 28 February 2019, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Will dav1d pick up support for it? That would make it easy for firefox to support it.

Comment

Sounds a bit unreasonable considering the speed of the AV1 codec. Imagine a future camera that supports this format. You take a photo, and the battery will be dead before the image is saved.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              Sounds a bit unreasonable considering the speed of the AV1 codec. Imagine a future camera that supports this format. You take a photo, and the battery will be dead before the image is saved.
              I'd like to say something about you exaggerating, but you do bring up a good point.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                You're that fucking stupid?!

Comment

WebP/VP9/etc are dead.

AV1 has commercial wide support from the tech industry, Amazon, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Intel, AMD, ARM, IBM, Cisco, etc, specifically for WebRTC. It's a proof-of-concept that satisfies the WebRTC standard. That's it. It's not going to replace anything.

The real winner is already here and it will be HEVC/H.265 and HEIC for single and sequential images.

Comment

Wow... This thread is...insightful? No, that's not quite right.

1. hajj_3 thinks we would be better off with a patent-encumbered codec that's a complete wildcard for now, instead a more proven one that's simple to distribute.
                    2. eydee has apparently never heard of hardware acceleration, which is due out at the end of this year.
                    3. Marc Driftmeyer thinks HEVC is really going places when HEVC is the very reason AV1 was created to begin with.

I'm getting some coffee...

Comment

Working...
                    X