Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd-Free Debian "Devuan" Planning Their First Developer Gathering This Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Um, BSD, BusyBox etc.

We can pretty easily replace the GNU components at the moment, not so much the kernel.
    LOL have fun replacing glibc

Comment

• lol... yeah someone shows how microsoft is partnered with linux foundation...

guess what the new kernel releases are full of regressions and its becoming a piece of trash.

thanks microsoft. thanks SJWs. Thanks hipsters like poettering for turning linux into a microsoft/apple clone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        Obviously, that's how I found out it was systemd holding it. Duh. It was months ago (as I mentioned) so I don't know the specifics, if I do it again I'll copy paste it.

I'm not sure what this has to do with what I said. I did not want to even touch systemd or interact with it, but as I said, it keeps getting in my way. In this case I just wanted to install some compilation components so I can test compile some stuff on latest Arch iso. Nothing really special. The package installation procedure gave me that conflict with systemd-libs and libsystemd so obviously it already got in my way. And then I opted to continue removing it because it was getting on my nerves and of course half the whole thing was bricked but not like I didn't mention this already.

To be specific: I had to remove it else I wouldn't have been able to install the damn packages I needed for compilation.

The point is I just want that piece of shit to stay away and stop getting in my fucking way, but it won't, it's always a problem with systemd whenever I try something in an Arch VM. Locking /usr, packaging problem or whatever, it's always systemd, even if not directly its fault, clearly it's a pain in the ass for packagers since they messed up here. Can't be a coincidence.
        AKA I don't know what I was doing, so I just fumbled along anyway - so it must be someone elses fault

Comment

• Originally posted by jacob View Post
          And the relevance of that to the discussion about Devuan and systemd is.... ?
          The relevance is we can't judge just because some claims... Anyway I cheer this guys eventually they were able to achieve a goal and making Debian available with sysvinit and openrc, at this point they could even dismiss sysvint, it has made its time. I prefer stick with Debian even with systemd, Devuan is not a community and never will be, it would be nice if some effort made by them may come back to Debian but I don't see much opportunity.
          by the way, as Red Hat is already replacing pulseaudio with pipewire, systemd will do the same end soon or later. It is just a matter of patience.

Comment

• Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            So systemd is hiding things when restarting crashed services so that user will not notice bugs. Typical redhat and Microsoft bad software design.
            Ok. It's become painstakingly obvious that you're just a troll who doesn't know what they're talking about, let alone anything about Linux.

Comment

• Originally posted by jacob View Post
              And the relevance of that to the discussion about Devuan and systemd is.... ?
              But there are two issues here. The mockery that Devuan attracts and that its developers and users seem to resent so much is really their own fault.
              Wanna expand on that latter claim? I agree with the former, actually? But, "they are at fault of being mocked.."? What the FUCK? This whole thread has been pro-systemd-people mocking the "opposition". Since beginning.

I looked at next thread about systemd and it had none of the aggressive attitude by anti-systemd people. In fact, barely saw any such posts. https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...ed-boot-loader
              So, who is "guilty" in what? You'd go literally religiously nuts about piece of software crawling over into thread not about your Life's Love and start bashing because some people prefer living without dealing with it.

Post #2 (promotion, it's great, you don't know what you are missing out of. Okay, it's pretty decent text still)
              Posted by microcode
              You can use whatever init system you want, I installed systemd on Debian before they even considered making it their standard. systemd is great, you don't know what you're missing if you haven't given it a fair shake. The sell to Debian maintainers is obvious, as well: I was able to integrate systemd on my old Debian systems straight from the upstream repository, and almost all the units were already written.
              Post #4 (passive-aggressive attack, already)
              Posted by FireBurn
              At first I didn't think anyone would be going to the devuaN conference, then I realised it was being held in Amsterdam... so there will probably be people there... in body if not mind
              Post #6
              Posted by Terrablit (not-so-subtle insulting)
              Other classes of note at the conference:
              • "How to Prevent Critical Thinking and Progress Using the Unix Philosophy"
              • "Butter Churns and You"
              • "How to Identify Witches and Redhat Developers"
              • "Bloodletting and Leeches"
              And it went downhill from there..

Grow the fuck up people.

Comment

• Originally posted by r08z View Post
                LOL have fun replacing glibc
                Ehm? Void Linux. Runit init, it has separate version with a musl C library, LibreSSL crypto. And it is a 'desktop Linux' (XFCE, LXQT, LXDE, Mate, Cinnamon, Enlightenment).
                There are some more, which could be used as desktop installation if need be (Alpine, JanusLinux).

Comment

• Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Ok. It's become painstakingly obvious that you're just a troll who doesn't know what they're talking about, let alone anything about Linux.
                  It took you a while to realize, didn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

It took you a while to realize, didn't it?
                    I like to have too much faith in humanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                      AKA I don't know what I was doing, so I just fumbled along anyway - so it must be someone elses fault
                      AKA I got a conflict because of something related to systemd that I did not care for and if I didn't answer Y then I wouldn't have been able to do my thing so what the fuck is your point? IT GOT IN MY WAY and that was my point.

It's simple. The choice is binary. Yes or No. No (default) means I cannot go and continue my shit, which is even worse. For crying out loud.

Comment

Working...
                      X