Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd-Free Debian "Devuan" Planning Their First Developer Gathering This Spring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by arokh View Post
    @aht0
    0 valid arguments. The typical nonsense that's been refuted over and over again. How much code have you written, btw?
    Your personal subjective opinion does not render these points invalid for other people. World is not just you nor only about you. So get down from your high horse.

    I've made odd side-money as a freelance coder, not just in past but inside last 6 months. Plus writing various snippets and small programs or shell scripts for my own use. Helped port Kodi 18 to FreeBSD, couple of years a go when I couldn't compile it from github's sources, sent patches upstream until it started compile..

    Even though my my regular work is in military/internal security forces. Went through university (information tech) which gave me basic C like 10 years a go. Learned (delphi) pascal, python and autoit3 on my own. C shell too to a degree. I don't need more nor have want of spending too much doing it, got family who want's time and attention. Writing code tends to be job you bring home with you. Current job - once im off-work, im off.

    Comment


    • You haven't pointed out a single technical problem with systemd (not one!), only misconceptions and personal opinion. And sorry, your basic code snippets does not give you any authority in claims like "Wrong approach to development." regarding a major open source system and service manager.

      It's hilarious, the keywords "binary logs" and "monolithic" is repeated in every clueless person's ramblings about systemd. I'm not even going to bother explaining why, as I've seen your handle in other systemd discussions and I'm sure you've seen the answer to that. Basically, you don't know what you're talking about.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by hreindl View Post
        *lol* but yours do? :-)
        I specifically wrote "problems as I see them".

        You two keep presenting yours as Universal Ultimate Truths.

        Until now all I've seen of your knowledge is calling others " idiots" with very little else. Because once I see such statement I simply skip rest of your post and when your insults go too childish, just flag it for admin. Sure as hell I won't bother reading past childish raving.

        Comment


        • Well, if it annoys you, keep away. Simple.
          Since you seem to offer free neurological diagnosis, yours is "obsessive-compulsive behaviour". Once you notice news item even remotely related to somebody ditching systemd, you cannot keep away.

          From one angle it is funny as hell watching you two raging and from the other, it's plain pathetic.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by arokh View Post
            You haven't pointed out a single technical problem with systemd (not one!), only misconceptions and personal opinion. And sorry, your basic code snippets does not give you any authority in claims like "Wrong approach to development." regarding a major open source system and service manager.

            It's hilarious, the keywords "binary logs" and "monolithic" is repeated in every clueless person's ramblings about systemd. I'm not even going to bother explaining why, as I've seen your handle in other systemd discussions and I'm sure you've seen the answer to that. Basically, you don't know what you're talking about.
            last "code snippet" I made for money involved 50k LOC and I've written longer things. Just plain lacking time after I got kid. Protestant cultures prefer not to brag. About authority - haven't seen a thing you two have written, besides flaming here.

            Attack surface - pretty logical. For example I remember not just one but three CVE's from January 2019. I'ts various components have had plenty of CVE's over the years, some being exploitable for a long time (year+) before getting fixed.

            About systemd affecting various software projects its functionalities it has annexed - it does not need "proving",it's self-evident.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by aht0 View Post
              About systemd affecting various software projects its functionalities it has annexed - it does not need "proving",it's self-evident.
              Look at this guy, who uses words like "annexed"... Do you sniff your own farts while you come up with this stuff?

              At the end of the day, you simply have no clue about open source and how the players within work. Systemd has been chosen because it's technically superior. It's simply more effective than the projects it's "annexed". Every distribution could choose to not use systemd or just use parts of it. This notion that Redhat is somehow forcing it on people is completely absurd.

              50k LOC..... Do you even github? Do you have a single line of public code? Have you participated in any open source projects?

              Oh and btw, I'm not raging I am writing this with a perfect 40 beats per minute pulse and a smile on my face sipping my coffee.

              Comment


              • As if the attack surface is any smaller if you use other apps in place of systemd components. Where's the hard numbers saying Linux with systemd is more exploited or has more exploits in general? Just another idiotic argument. Systemd haters should simply be told to shut up or provide better code. We've heard all your ramblings before, nobody gives a shit you are just noise.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by hreindl View Post
                  *lol* but yours do? :-)
                  Indeed, since believe it or not, neither me nor him give a shit about you and when we usually post "for other people" we don't particularly give a shit about you or arokh.

                  Unlike you, when you mention me in half of your posts that I don't even read except by accident.

                  No, you see, there's other people on this forum than you or arokh. It might be shocking to you, I know.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by hreindl View Post
                    i don't need to believe anything given that i know for sure that <ou are one of the dumbest animals walking on two legs
                    Did you just assume my species?

                    Requesting ban for his offensive and speciesist remarks. Racist.

                    FYI I'm an attack helicopter and I don't even have legs.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by hreindl View Post
                      problem is your biased view and the loud cry of some fools, on every other software updates are installed and people move on
                      https://resources.whitesourcesoftwar...lities-in-2018

                      * Mon Feb 25 2019
                      - Linux v4.20.12
                      - Fix CVE-2019-8980 (rhbz 1679972 1679974)

                      * Wed Feb 20 2019
                      - Linux v4.20.11
                      - Fix CVE-2019-8912 (rhbz 1678685 1678686)

                      * Fri Feb 15 2019
                      - Linux v4.20.10

                      * Tue Feb 12 2019
                      - Linux v4.20.8
                      - Fixes CVE-2019-7221 (rhbz 1671904 1673676)
                      - Fixes CVE-2019-6974 (rhbz 1671913 1673681)
                      - Fixes CVE-2019-7222 (rhbz 1671930 1673686)

                      * Mon Jan 28 2019
                      - Linux v4.20.5
                      - Fix CVE-2018-16880 (rhbz 1656472 1669545)

                      * Mon Jan 14 2019
                      - Linux v4.19.15
                      - Fix CVE-2019-3459 and CVE-2019-3460 (rbhz 1663176 1663179 1665925)

                      * Wed Jan 09 2019
                      - Fix CVE-2019-3701 (rhbz 1663729 1663730)
                      Bias? Indeed? Compare apples and oranges.
                      Linux kernel is project far larger than systemd. It should be somewhere around 30MLOC. It's guaranteed to have more bugs purely due to it's larger total size.

                      Originally posted by arokh View Post
                      You haven't pointed out a single technical problem with systemd (not one!), only misconceptions and personal opinion. And sorry, your basic code snippets does not give you any authority in claims like "Wrong approach to development." regarding a major open source system and service manager.
                      Actually, I gave you even a list. If you chose to ignore it, it's your problem. Systemd's project size in itself is a problem, to start with. Smaller projects (like individual components systemd has replaced) are much easier to manage than single monster project. Statistical tendency is such that as the projects increase, amount of bugs does as well. I've seen multiple theories about it, some claim 3-4bugs per 1kLOC is good quality code, some claim 10-20 are "normal". So, how many hundreds of thousands of lines of code systemd is at, currently? I see close to 1000 unresolved bugs in github as of now. Following the optimistic idea of 3-4bugs per 1kLOC, there's good bunch still being not found.
                      Originally posted by arokh View Post
                      At the end of the day, you simply have no clue about open source and how the players within work. Systemd has been chosen because it's technically superior. It's simply more effective than the projects it's "annexed". Every distribution could choose to not use systemd or just use parts of it. This notion that Redhat is somehow forcing it on people is completely absurd.
                      Do you have a clue? Lot's of words, accusations and insults. Haven't seen bit of solid knowledge yet TBH.

                      Originally posted by arokh View Post
                      50k LOC..... Do you even github? Do you have a single line of public code? Have you participated in any open source projects?
                      Yes, I actually do have github, though until recently I found very little use for it, except for sending in patches, because unpaid account did not allow for private repos. Shit I wrote for money's been always closed source.

                      About the latter question, that forum post should provide sufficient answer.
                      https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/f...0/#post-368909

                      Originally posted by arokh View Post
                      Oh and btw, I'm not raging I am writing this with a perfect 40 beats per minute pulse and a smile on my face sipping my coffee.
                      Either you are trying to brag or you have heart condition called bradycardia. In the latter case, go see cardiologist. Considering the amount of time you seem to spend behind computer, I suspect former.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X