Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd-Free Debian "Devuan" Planning Their First Developer Gathering This Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd-Free Debian "Devuan" Planning Their First Developer Gathering This Spring

Phoronix: Systemd-Free Debian "Devuan" Planning Their First Developer Gathering This Spring

For fans of Devuan, the downstream of Debian focused on "init system independence" or just "Debian without systemd", their first-ever conference is happening in just over one month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't Debian init-system-independent already since you can use it without systemd (without having to use Devuan)?

Popcorn

Comment

You can use whatever init system you want, I installed systemd on Debian before they even considered making it their standard. systemd is great, you don't know what you're missing if you haven't given it a fair shake. The sell to Debian maintainers is obvious, as well: I was able to integrate systemd on my old Debian systems straight from the upstream repository, and almost all the units were already written.
      Last edited by microcode; 28 February 2019, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        You can use whatever init system you want, I installed systemd on Debian before they even considered making it their standard. systemd is great, you don't know what you're missing if you haven't given it a fair shake. The sell to Debian maintainers is obvious, as well: I was able to integrate systemd on my old Debian systems straight from the upstream repository, and almost all the units were already written.
        inb4 the comments about the init system not being the whole computer and fear mongering about systemd making their own desktop :P

Comment

At first I didn't think anyone would be going to the devuaN conference, then I realised it was being held in Amsterdam... so there will probably be people there... in body if not mind

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Isn't Debian init-system-independent already since you can use it without systemd (without having to use Devuan)?
            They at least learned how to ship Debian with different default config. That's more or less what Ubuntu also does.

Comment

Other classes of note at the conference:
              • "How to Prevent Critical Thinking and Progress Using the Unix Philosophy"
              • "Butter Churns and You"
              • "How to Identify Witches and Redhat Developers"
              • "Bloodletting and Leeches"

Comment

What I don't understand about Devuan is how dare they forcing people to use a filesystem. I insist that my Choice (tm) is to use punch cards.

And talking about filesystems, I hope that at least they use a block-based, non-CoW, non-journaling one like ext2. Anything else is against the Unix Philosophy.

Comment

init freedom lovers
                  I puked in my mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrablit View Post
                    Other classes of note at the conference:
                    • "How to Prevent Critical Thinking and Progress Using the Unix Philosophy"
                    • "Butter Churns and You"
                    • "How to Identify Witches and Redhat Developers"
                    • "Bloodletting and Leeches"
                    While I get that there was a lot of emotional arguing from people who never touched an init script in their lives (if so many were init wizards, I imagine there would be huge reliability and performance gains and systemd-like adoption), but it doesn't help anyone to be so mean towards people who might just like to tinker about. I'm sure there's a few people with a religious looking mindset against systemd, but we can just ignore them like their immediate surroundings already do, I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                    X