Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FOSDEM 19 Is Happening In Just Three Weeks, There Will Once Again Be A Graphics Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i corrected the typo. i wasn't joking about German beers. I was making fun of the tendency of some Belgians to believe we make the best beers in the world and that everyone should be bothered.

I wasn't even aware Karlsquell was still sold. The well known cheapo ale would be Cara Pils these times.

I will probably attend Fosdem. Everything is at biking distance in Brussels anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post
      i corrected the typo. i wasn't joking about German beers. I was making fun of the tendency of some Belgians to believe we make the best beers in the world and that everyone should be bothered.
      I think that's objectively true, though the recent trend towards craft beer means there are now even good American beers The problem with Belgian beers of course it that you get drunk too quickly so you can't enjoy that many in a single sitting.

I wasn't even aware Karlsquell was still sold. The well known cheapo ale would be Cara Pils these times.
      Apparently Karlsquell hasn't been sold since 2002, good thing I reached the legal drinking age for beer one year earlier. And it was actually brewed in Belgium, as is the current Aldi Store brand Maternus (which comes in Plastic bottles).

Comment

Well, beer that is not brewed honoring the German "Reinheitsgebot" may be ale or whatever, but not beer by a German definition.

Is it still possible to attend FOSDEM or do one need to register more early?

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
          Well, beer that is not brewed honoring the German "Reinheitsgebot" may be ale or whatever, but not beer by a German definition.

Is it still possible to attend FOSDEM or do one need to register more early?
          Registration not needed for FOSDEM, you just show up and go to whatever room(s) you want.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Registration not needed for FOSDEM, you just show up and go to whatever room(s) you want.
            Thanks Michael!

Comment

There is no legal distinction here, Reinheitsgebot is just marketing. There are great beers that don't follow the limits set by the Reinheitsgebot while there are terrible beers that do.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post
                I wasn't even aware Karlsquell was still sold.
                Originally posted by nils_ View Post
                Apparently Karlsquell hasn't been sold since 2002, good thing I reached the legal drinking age for beer one year earlier.
                Aldi (Nord) still sells Karlsquell Malz, but that is not "real" beer.

That is not fully correct. A grandfathering clause exists: Beer styles that were already brewed since before the Reinheitsgebot went into effect are allowed to be out of compliance, and still be considered beer.

Comment

I booked myself a room in Brussels now, the nice thing is that I can deduct it as a business trip Just need the train ticket.

Comment

Working...
                  X