Fedora Planning A Per-System Unique Identifier For DNF To Count Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Planning A Per-System Unique Identifier For DNF To Count Users

Phoronix: Fedora Planning A Per-System Unique Identifier For DNF To Count Users

Fedora developers are looking at implementing a per-system UUID identifier leveraged by the DNF package manager in order to more accurately count their user-base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Waiting for the huge shitstorm and a call to boycot fedora and redhat by the whole Linux community.

Oh wait, its not canonical, so everything is fine...

Comment

So rather than using IP addresses which is personal, they want to use a unique UUID that isn't personal and you can change/remove as needed?

Seems good to me.

Comment

We tried that at Xandros. Now we don't have Xandros. Best of luck, Red Hat.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
          We tried that at Xandros. Now we don't have Xandros. Best of luck, Red Hat.
          I am not sure there is a strong correlation between the two, apart from possibly having so few users that counting them made investors pull out.

Comment

Absolutely not. Stop masking user tracking as bullshit causes and crusades.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
              Waiting for the huge shitstorm and a call to boycot fedora and redhat by the whole Linux community.

Oh wait, its not canonical, so everything is fine...
              Personally, as long as the tool is open to make it clear that actual personal identification data isn't used or taken I don't think these are that big of a deal, especially if opt-out by default or if given as a clear and obvious option in installation media.

I'd actually like a distribution agnostic method of reporting our system specs, hardware configuration, OS used, etc; provided it was an open source tool that doesn't try to obtain personal user data.

Comment

I'd strongly advice for some kind of opt-in at installation time / first use after installation. I'm personally totally in favour of such things, but I want to be informed and have an easy option to opt out.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                  I'd strongly advice for some kind of opt-in at installation time / first use after installation. I'm personally totally in favour of such things, but I want to be informed and have an easy option to opt out.
                  an Opt-In is much much safer. Obviously that leaves the data collected as incomplete, but their stewardship of such data could make others more comfortable switching to opt-out.

Comment

Hehe. Imagine if Canonical made a announcement like this, using the exact same words...

Also, how much more precision they need anyway? If you have people downloading certain key packages (like kernel security updates), that seems pretty precise to me. If they need to track every single active user of their distro, it makes me rise a eyebrow.

Comment

Working...
                    X