From The Linux Perspective: What I Am Most Looking Forward To In 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
    • All Wine staging patches and all the infamous ones like PBA, esync, etc. to be also upstreamed so we don't have to deal with several forks of forks of Wine.
    Good luck with that one. It's more likely that Nvidia will open source their drivers.

Comment

My Wishlist:
      • Wayland dies off because of its retarded devs' opinions (and consequently, worthless design and limitations).
      • Linux either gets a DLL loader and everyone uses it for libraries, or a new convention is done that all distros obey, or the loader gets replaced with one that eliminates the retarded global symbol namespace of ELF, forcing every symbol to specify exactly which module it is from (or each symbol to be in the module's table). First step towards sane userland.
      • Library devs go from retarded to average and finally stop breaking the fucking ABI, ever. They extend their library with new functions / classes if needed, deprecate old but NEVER remove them from the library (if anything, make them a wrapper for the new one, that's okay). Just like the Linux Kernel or Windows APIs. (need a function with more options? add Ex suffix or call it func2 or w/e, like Windows/Linux respectively). Second step towards sane userland.
      • Failing the above, more devs to target Wine instead of avoiding a port to Linux altogether due to its retarded userland. Having Wine as "officially supported" (or at least a given Wine version) should be good.

Comment

More drivers for mobile devices in the main trees of the Kernel and mesa. Maturing drivers for tegra ,lima and adreno chips.

I also hope that we will see av1 support in hardware soon so htpcs can pick it up soon after

Comment

I’m wondering if Linus wants to see Wire Guard in the kernel as part of the step to Linux 5.x? I have a hard time imagining what else could be a hold up (maybe a clean up for LLVM/CLang). Wire Guard seems like the last major piece for this round of development.

Comment

RadeonSI using NIR, and the Intel GPU driver using Gallium3D. Hopefully the first will enable later performance improvements, the second will directly cause some, and both will mean less duplicated work.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                Who cares about basic functionality?

It's all about rewriting the fucking libraries and have all the stupid userland "port to it" for the 100th time. That's very exciting in Linux land.
                Yes, developers are forever busy porting form gtk+2 to gtk+3 to gtk+4.0. Same with QT toolkit.
                No commercial vendor is ever going to port their propriety applications to this ever changing GNU/Linux desktop which represent < 2% split over 10 different versions.

Vasant

Comment

My only wish for 2019 is stable open source drivers for just any reasonably capable GPU.

2018 saw me giving up hope that amdgpu is going to be stable anytime soon, in 2019 I hope for either a wonder happening on that or Intel releasing their discrete GPUs (along with decent drivers) early, or some miracle happening turning nVidia into a non-evil-minded enemy of open source.

There's still a stack of money in my safe that I wanted to spend as early as 2016 on some new fancy computers, but first it took a long time for some actually interesting new CPU to be sold, and once this was solved no contemporary GPU was blessed with stable open source drivers. Dammit.

Comment

I like the article's listing, though there are some interesting ideas in this thread. Hopefully it's an exciting year.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
                      legally-usable, signed firmware binaries for NVIDIA desktop GPUs that nouveau can use (as Rene said)
                      nouveau needs to generate their own firmware, usable blobs will not help
                      Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
                      Microsoft release the source code to Edge under a very permissive license and some passionate developers
                      i see correlation between love of nvidia hardware and love of microsoft software

Comment

Working...
                      X