No announcement yet.

From The Linux Perspective: What I Am Most Looking Forward To In 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia's binary only blog gone, and nouveau becoming the full featured choice

Comment

Lol 2019 and Linux users still have basic functionality stuff on the wishlist.

Comment

Nice list Michael.

I would add to it:
        • legally-usable, signed firmware binaries for NVIDIA desktop GPUs that nouveau can use (as Rene said)
        • Wayland by default in both Ubuntu releases (19.04 & 19.10) with enough development work put in that 20.04 LTS can be released with Wayland enabled by default.
        • For Open Source project leaders (maintainers, benevolent dictators & repo committers) to firmly push back against those who seek to take over their projects & manipulate communities via "code of conduct" documents, committees & other mechanisms of thought and behaviour policing. I'd like the Open Source environment to be primarily about technical excellence (you're judged by what you produce) & kindness (try to be nice to other folk). Ultimately it is the right of the project leaders to have the final say on their project. If you don't like the project leaders and the standards they set, then fork off.
        • Greater adoption of reproducible builds ( https://reproducible-builds.org/ ) to improve security.
        • Microsoft release the source code to Edge under a very permissive license and some passionate developers continue the project vowing to maintain and improve the EdgeHTML engine and port the browser to Mac OS X & GNU/Linux (under Wayland).
        • Continued developments in open hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          What I am looking forward to or hoping for.
          • Firefox supporting Wayland.
          • Chrome supporting Wayland.
          • Firefox switching to the WebRender engine.
          • Better Qualcomm Snapdragon 835, 845 and 855 support.
          • Ubuntu finally switching over to a new version of Nautilus.
          • Maybe a new Raspberry Pi 4.
          • GIMP with GTK 3.
          • VLC media player to get a refreshed UI.
          • Atom and VS Code to update Electron to version 4. Maybe we can have Wayland support soon?
          • Open source announcements from Microsoft.
          I don't have a problem with VLC's UI (it could be better but it isn't bad IMO) and I'm still wary of any open-source projects by MS, but otherwise I pretty much agree with this entire list.
          To add to that:
          * Improved DXVK support
          * Better video decoding support for either web browser engine (but especially Firefox)
          * GPUs that are actually interesting to buy

Comment

There are only two things on my 2019 Linux wish list:
            • All Wine staging patches and all the infamous ones like PBA, esync, etc. to be also upstreamed so we don't have to deal with several forks of forks of Wine.
            • More progress on the Wayland front, ie. more apps and frameworks to work without XWayland.

Comment

above all, linux operating systems free from xorg.

Comment

I'd like to see first class Optimus (aka Hybrid graphics) support from NVIDIA. Currently, the situation is an incomprehensible and unmaintained
                hacky mess (Bumblebee). This is unacceptable and we need first class support indentical to Windows 10.

Comment

As a Debian user and as it is time for stabilisation i am looking forward for first freeze to happen in 10 days for Buster and then another 4-6 months of polishing, etc... in the middle of february average Joe could see what it is.

Also i am looking forward Debian rollers to cry at least 2 months, usual hot spot which is somewhere in the middle of the two, so march-april maybe may
                  Last edited by dungeon; 02 January 2019, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I don't have a problem with VLC's UI (it could be better but it isn't bad IMO) and I'm still wary of any open-source projects by MS, but otherwise I pretty much agree with this entire list.
                    To add to that:
                    * Improved DXVK support
                    * Better video decoding support for either web browser engine (but especially Firefox)
                    * GPUs that are actually interesting to buy
                    The UI in VLC is a bit dated. I've read they are planning UI improvements for version 4.
                    Microsoft is the arguably the best open source player out there. They are the biggest contributor on GitHub, and they are the greatest at building open source communities. The communities around their projects are the most vibrant. They have thousands of contributors to their open source projects.
                    They are very good at engaging with the open source community.
                    They're projects are also very popular and successful.

Originally posted by ihatemichael

Who cares about Microsoft.
                    Me! I love Microsoft's open source offerings!
                    .NET Core, ASP.NET Core, Entity Framework, Visual Studio Code, so many amazing pieces of software!

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
                      Lol 2019 and Linux users still have basic functionality stuff on the wishlist.
                      Who cares about basic functionality?

It's all about rewriting the fucking libraries and have all the stupid userland "port to it" for the 100th time. That's very exciting in Linux land.

Comment

Working...
                      X