Open-Source / Linux Letdowns For 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

1. adding insults to every answer or disagreement surely weakens your argument a lot

2. you propose to make everything in linux the opposite of what it is today. So every single linux user of today would hate your proposed solution and go somewhere else.
    You basically propose you are the new dictator of linux development and everybody has now to do as you wish. To make a os that has nothing to do with GNU/Linux but uses the kernel?

What's the point of proposing something that NEVER NEVER will happen 100% guaranteed. You fail at kernel level, there will never be a stable ABI for the kernel, are you related to Don Quijote?

Or is it the appeal that it will never happen so that nobody every can proof that you were wrong?
    I uh... think that's the point. I think he gets off on complaining and playing victim, to the point where he just starts making shit up in order to complain while playing himself up as some wonderful person, with him having switched to throwing a temper tantrum over the fact that he's got no credibility here as of late.

Comment

First you asked for a solution, it turned out the one already exists. Then suddenly you don't want any solutions because you claim to know for a fact what other Linux users want and need. You might want to remove the crown from your head, dumb fuck. Most Linux users that I know want Linux to be a widely recognized, supported, install-and-forget OS which properly supports most hardware out there and has tons of software and games for it.

If you don't have a life and you enjoy fucking with your OS as a hobby, then let me destroy your bubble: most people don't want to tinker with their OS on a constant basis. They don't even want to know what OS they are running. The OS is a fucking tool. If it requires constant maintenance, it's no longer an OS, it's a piece of garbage.

Linux on the desktop is a piece of garbage. For some very limited use cases it might work but then an OEM version of Windows costs less than $50 and I just cannot find any justification for installing an OS which is far from perfect when there's an excellent quite cheap OS which just works.

Most Gentoo/Arch geeks that I personally know have long migrated to MacOS X because at some point they got extremely tired of fixing shit in Linux. They have better things in life to attend to. They want to live, not to devote their time and resource on an OS which is not going to be a complete package ever.

I've been using Linux for over 20 years already. I'm tired of it as hell.
      Last edited by birdie; 02 January 2019, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

I uh... think that's the point. I think he gets off on complaining and playing victim, to the point where he just starts making shit up in order to complain while playing himself up as some wonderful person, with him having switched to throwing a temper tantrum over the fact that he's got no credibility here as of late.
        What a piece of shit you are. You're discussing me publicly instead of discussing the topic and then you make outrageous false claims about me. Too bad we both don't live in the same country 'cause otherwise I'd sue the shit out of you for defamation and slander.

Meanwhile I've helped solve multiple bugs in the Linux kernel, GCC, Wine, KDE and many other Open Source projects but why I'm even telling you this? You're clearly biased anyone who says anything bad about Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

What a piece of shit you are. You're discussing me publicly instead of discussing the topic and then you make outrageous false claims about me. Too bad we both don't live in the same country 'cause otherwise I'd sue the shit out of you for defamation and slander.

Meanwhile I've helped solve multiple bugs in the Linux kernel, GCC, Wine, KDE and many other Open Source projects but why I'm even telling you this? You're clearly biased anyone who says anything bad about Linux.
          Aww... Isn't that cute? Blackwid don't you love his overblown sense of self, and totally irrational mindspace?

You just love this attention don't you birdie? We know you do. You think you're such a victim don't you? yes you do. There there, run off and go play with the kids and let the adults have our conversation.

Comment

I get it now, thought you can discuss with him, but if in your first comment without even a answer you start attacking users before they even said 1 word... you have probably some mental issues.

Just listening to a twitch streamer that has torret syndrom she is way more likeable and social as this dude... but I might be biased I am hetero and she is girl

Comment

First you asked for a solution, it turned out the one already exists. Then suddenly you don't want any solutions because you claim to know for a fact what other Linux users want and need.
              I will regret it, but I can't help it and answer.

Who the fuck does care about what "users" might want and not. Linux is no Democracy, if you want a democracy pay taxes. If you want a product pay for it, but don't assume that you get for free a product that the developers have no interest in. Can you proof to me that you pay 500 dollars each year to opensource linux projects? And if so do you think that all this other users you know do the same?

Go to Elementary OS or pick whatever you want, and pay them 500-1000 Dollar each year with 1000 or better 5000 other people. That would be a start, to get funding going.
              That would be 500.000 to 5mio dollar which would still be very little when you know that Mozilla alone get's 500 mio Dollar each year.

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...f-revenue.html

Who the fuck gives a shit what a few users that pay nothing or a few bucks want? You did not understand the principle of free software or opensource.

Comment

2. you propose to make everything in linux the opposite of what it is today.
                Obviously something like it has to be done if you want it to become a factor on the desktop. Elementary logic.

You can't just expect to do the same thing over and over again, without change, and want a different result. That's the definition of insanity, which is actually an attribute I'd apply to Linux userland.

So every single linux user of today would hate your proposed solution and go somewhere else.
                I'm a Linux user of today and would absolutely LOVE his proposed solution.

It would become the best OS both as a platform and as an actual OS (system services & kernel). Windows is superb as a platform but is a disaster on the latter so I don't use it for that reason.

Who the fuck gives a shit what a few users that pay nothing or a few bucks want?
                Who the fuck cares about an insignificant trash tier company like Mozilla with pitiful revenue when you compare it to the likes of Microsoft? (which is btw the most valuable company in the fucking world)

Based on your "more revenue means better" logic you already lost the fight so hard it's not even worth to continue this.

You brought up revenue in this discussion, which is embarrassing to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  Obviously something like it has to be done if you want it to become a factor on the desktop. Elementary logic.
                  Actually elementary logic would say you're affirming the consequent which is a logical fallacy.

You can't just expect to do the same thing over and over again, without change, and want a different result. That's the definition of insanity, which is actually an attribute I'd apply to Linux userland.
                  I never knew that doing the same thing could look so diverse. Oh wait... the diversity of the solutions is what you're complaining about.

I'm a Linux user of today and would absolutely LOVE his proposed solution.
                  You haven't actually read his "solution" have you? It's really not worth your time but you might want to take a look before you go racing to his side.

It would become the best OS both as a platform and as an actual OS (system services & kernel). Windows is superb as a platform but is a disaster on the latter so I don't use it for that reason.

Who the fuck cares about an insignificant trash tier company like Mozilla with pitiful revenue when you compare it to the likes of Microsoft? (which is btw the most valuable company in the fucking world)

Based on your "more revenue means better" logic you already lost the fight so hard it's not even worth to continue this.

You brought up revenue in this discussion, which is embarrassing to say the least.
                  What he's saying is that Linux and OSS are an anarchy not a democracy. If you want someone to do your bidding you need to give them an incentive to do, otherwise you need to dig in and do it yourself. You have no authority over anyone.

Now as to what would actually cause an expansion of Linux on the desktop is that someone (Google, IBM, SUSE, Canonical, Valve, Samsung, etc) needs to put in a push for putting real Linux on the desktop out there on the OEM level, and giving them enough of a cash incentive to chase it, and to market it to the public. See: Chromebooks for example. The simple truth is this was never a "If you build it they will come" scenario. The truth is that the average person who is aware of Linux already thinks it's some amazing god tier thing based on how people hype it but they'll never touch it, why? They're not comfortable installing their own OS. That's really all there is to it. They'll never take the leap to find out that it's not quite all that and that's why the Linux desktop has so few people using it.

Comment

Luke is a great proponent of all Linux users learning shell, compilation and Gentoo/LFS. Luke doesn't want people to use something without headaches and constant tinkering. We get it, Luke. Now kindly fuck off because 99.99% of normal people out there Do. Not. Want. That. Shit. Ever. and they couldn't care less about the diversity of Linux distros. This diversity is shit, pure and simple.

Also, dear alternatively gifted Luke, mind that neither ISVs want to deal with hundreds of Linux distros. I know some of them, so you can take my word on that. They want to compile something once and use it everywhere, just like they do that on Windows and MacOS X - the task which is currently almost impossible to carry out on Linux (flatpak/snappy notwithstanding but they have their own issues and it's not a solution - it's a freaking crutch which was created to solve the great fucking diversity).

You see, there's no Adobe Create Suite for Windows 7, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 7 64, Windows 7 64 SP1 multiplied by their Home, Pro and Ultimate versions. Oh, there's a multitude of similar versions of Windows 8 and a metric ton of Windows 10 releases. For some strange reasons Adobe compiles their products once and they work on all supported Windows releases (to be fair there are 32 and 64 bit releases but just two).

It's amazing how much shit I receive for the local retards here who have zero arguments but who are ready to discuss and diagnose me. It definitely shows their level of argumentation, adulthood and rational thinking. All three are more or less missing unfortunately.

Chromebooks for example
                    ChromeOS is one fucking OS. Repeat after me, one fucking OS. Not a thousand of systems with varying kernels, userspaces, DEs, etc. etc. etc.

Chromebooks took off because there's a fucking platform just like in Windows/MacOS X/Android/iOS. There's no platform in Linux. Nil, nada, naught, nothing. No amount of OEM support and marketing can solve this issue. Corel heavily marketed Corel Linux. Ubuntu ran lots of ads. Where is Linux now? Just where it was 20 years ago with its measly 1-2% market share. You must be a complete and utter idiot to believe that the marketing of a broken OS will magically make it popular. Remember Windows Mobile? Remember how much money Microsoft spent to market it? And where is it now? Unlike Linux however Windows Mobile was a platform and even that wasn't enough.
                    Last edited by birdie; 03 January 2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

j
                      ChromeOS is one fucking OS. Repeat after me, one fucking OS. Not a thousand of systems with varying kernels, userspaces, DEs, etc. etc. etc.

Chromebooks took off because there's a fucking platform just like in Windows/MacOS X/Android/iOS. There's no platform in Linux. Nil, nada, naught, nothing. No amount of OEM support and marketing can solve this issue. Corel heavily marketed Corel Linux. Ubuntu ran lots of ads. Where is Linux now? Just where it was 20 years ago with its measly 1-2% market share. You must be a complete and utter idiot to believe that the marketing of a broken OS will magically make it popular. Remember Windows Mobile? Remember how much money Microsoft spent to market it? And where is it now? Unlike Linux however Windows Mobile was a platform and even that wasn't enough.
                      Normaly I would block you for insulting people without any reason again before they even said a word , but you are kind of adorable, so you have to insult harder to make me take you serious at that point.

So Windows / Chromeos and Macos are all better OSes according to you than linux. Why do you not use one of them then?

Especially Chromeos, it's even technically a linux (kernel), if it's so great go for it. They even bring Linux app support.

But I assume you want some abstract form of freedom, not really, you don't come over to me as a real free software absolutist? But I might be wrong, but that you can't run kde on it or whatever software you like might be the problem right?

You have so much false assumptions.

1. you think having more users is very important, again if that's important for you do something about it, put your money or your time were your mouth is, and with time I don't mean this discussions here that lead to nothing. (if it's the only thing you do)

lol you talk about adulthood and insult nonstop people, funny.

2. you claim that it's still only 2% market share (on desktop you ignore the rest, which is tvs and other important consumer stuff) but you know that this 2% are in reality much more installations.

The only reason Windows sells any oses at this point is because they A are pre-installed and B they gave windows 10 away for free, and because of ubuntu that weekend the linux plattform with his desktop war just when people starting to hate windows 8 extremely.

3. again explain me what is wrong with chromeos? Seems to be what you want. That most free software people don't work for free to make it better? Or what's your problem with it?

Well I guess you did not answer to all my points in the last comment, and I assume you don't do it this time, you pick 1 half sentence and answer it in a way that make you look good and ignore the rest.

So last comment from me and you likely land on my ignore list, which you could also have used if we are so stupid, instead of insulting us... but you know we are the people with the missing "adulthood".

Comment

Working...
                      X