Cannot link SYSV static lib with GNU/Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot link SYSV static lib with GNU/Linux

I want to link to some external static lib, let's say somelib. I'm trying to do this by FIND_LIBRARY in cmake and it seems to work ok - cmake finds libsomelib.a but there is a problem with linking:

(somelib.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.1' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

I'm sure somelib is compiled with PIC enabled. Some interesting things: file somelib.o shows FpgaPicAPI.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped and here's the file output of one of my project's object file: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), not stripped. As far as I know, SYSV means "this object file does not use any OS-specific features" but can I link such object files with different OS/ABI? The second thing is compiler version: somelib uses gcc 5.4.0 and I have to use 4.8.5 but I believe it's not the problem - Ive got side project using somelib and it works okay with gcc 4.8 (executable becames SYSV btw). No idea what to check next.

any of my known methods of determining PIC presance works, but the authors of this lib are sure that this is PIC version. They gave me libfpga.a and libfpgapic.a files. I think it's safe to assume that it's not the problem here. I googled this "relocation against" and solutions were really weird - no file found, no symlink, no PIC and much more.

Comment

Working...
    X