No announcement yet.

Debian's Anti-Harassment Team Is Removing A Package Over Its Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not good. Reading political debates and attacks on personal beliefs in forums about technology.

<< proud liberal, and proud to say "stop micromanaging shit, please!".

Comment

• Originally posted by middy
      the new christian right has taken over
      How did you come to that conclusion?
      I fairly certain the people behind this are neither Christian nor Right-wing.

Comment

• To everyone that is upset with Debian team, please actually look at the weboob.org website.

If you really feel an application suite which includes "QHandjoob" is completely professional then please contact Red Hat and Canonical to get it added to their distributions. Debian is not the only distributor and you can try working with the other companies to get packages added back the Debian does not see fit to distribute.

These AGPL covered applications could also be forked and re-released by someone under a different name.

Comment

• [deleted]
          Last edited by teresaejunior; 08 November 2020, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• [deleted]
            Last edited by teresaejunior; 08 November 2020, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• If somebody really wants to maintain it you can join Devuan to do it: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=13397#p13397

Given the latest things happening in Debian community that's the only way left.

Comment

• Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Probably sarcasm on his part
                Exactly.

Comment

• Originally posted by teresaejunior View Post

Weak argument, Debian packages are maintained by volunteers, not by the Debian project. Someone decided he wanted to package this software for Debian, and his contributions are now being forcefully removed.
                  Debian as a community can decide whatever process they want to include on their official platform. Weboob can still be packaged for debian but it just isn't on their official platform.

This is the case with any community. If you start spamming stuff on phoronix or start harassing users and using racial pejoratives, Michael is well in his rights to decide he doesn't want you on his platform and ban you, no matter how much effort or contributions you made with your comments or contributions.

If you have a github or gitlab account and I decide to make a PR, you aren't required to accept it. It's YOUR project you decide what get's added. Similarly you can accept my PR and remove it later. It doesn't make sense for me to cry that my contributions were forcefully removed. It's YOUR project and you get to do with it what you see fit. If I don't like it, then I can clone it (if it's open source) and keep my changes or move to a different project.
                  Last edited by JAYL; 21 December 2018, 04:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
                    How did you come to that conclusion?
                    If something quacks like a duck etc. then it's probably a duck

Comment

• Originally posted by teresaejunior View Post
                      and this is how linux dies. the new christian right has taken over and now has started to enforce their political beliefs and morality onto others. don't agree get silenced, removed, de-platformed, extra. new boss same as the old boss.
                      This guy got it all backwards.
                      Well, in a sense he got it right (no pun intended

Comment

Working...
                      X