No announcement yet.

Debian's Anti-Harassment Team Is Removing A Package Over Its Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These "Anti-Harassment Teams" sound like bolshevik committees.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      They are, since they seem to operate on a similar principles. Even suspicion means automatically guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Credit where it is due! 25 years is probably a record for an idealistic utopic society to last before breaking down to "Struggle Sessions"*

*For some reason I am more familiar with the Asian version. Go figure! :-S

Comment

When the kernel code of conduct was added the reception was mixed, this one though there's no doubt from anyone that this is just plain stupid.

Seems like they only want to remove it because they feel uncomfortable when they hear the word "boob".
          If we want to avoid making people feel uncomfortable it would be much more effective to remove all references in history to the countries Iraq, Syria and Vietnam so people who have fought in wars there don't get PTSD.

Originally posted by faldzip View Post
          That reminded me I have to email Qt Company that they have to remove Qt Automotive Suite as the abbreviation QtAS is pronounced in Polish as "cootas" which means just "dick". Microaggression is flooding me...

No, not really...
          Also, QtAS would be pronounced cute ass in english, you don't even need to translate it to polish to make it "inappropriate"!

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Because it's censorship based on arbitrary rules: "someone might get offended".
            What is being censored? In the debian case it's a package that isn't going to be on DEBIAN'S archive. You can still install it; the debian community just doesn't want to commit THEIR resources to archive it. You can still find and install the software. If you don't like how debian does things feel free to go to a different community that does package the software that you want in their official repositories (or fork debian). Nothing is being censored, I doubt most people (myself included) didn't even know this package existed until today. If anything this package now has more reach than it did than when it was archived.

If you were responding to the linux CoC portion of my comment, I'd argue that if there isn't something you can't say civilly it isn't worth saying as it wouldn't benefit the kernel. Being hostile helps drive away potential contributors to kernel. Why would you want not want to have a minimum standard (say semi professional etiquette) so you can maximize the growth of the linux kernel? If the trade off is "some people have to not write mean comments" in order to get "more linux kernel contributor" I'll take that trade any day of the week because at the end of the day idiots acting like children doesn't improve my life at all, but a better linux kernel with more contributions or developer does. In this case the "censorship", if you can even call it that, isn't arbitrary. It's results oriented and the point is to create an environment to get as many developers and contributors as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
              Weboob seems to be available in stable and testing, but I swear I will change distribution when they blacklist it.
              Do you even have the package(s) installed? I don't care for the decision myself, but your overreaction is hilarious.

Originally posted by phoronix
              What package was deemed too inappropriate for the Debian archive?
              Clickbaiting at its finest/worst.

Originally posted by ferry
              There is no doubt that the writers are intentionally associating the name of their software with boobs
              Yes, especially with utils named boobsize and wetboobs. C'mon folks, use wit and at least try to thinly veil your innuendo. Leave yourself a bit of room for plausible denial..

Comment

Stupid.

Let's remove https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libjs-cocktail and https://packages.debian.org/stretch/autoconf-dickey too

because it has "cock" and "dick" in the name, as a man I find that offensive.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
                  Arch Linux welcomes all the alt-right people.
                  If those people are like you, Arch Linux can have them.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

at least try to thinly veil your innuendo.
                    What for !? Could you name that horrible country of yours where people feel the need to hide their innuendo ?

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    Leave yourself a bit of room for plausible denial..
                    To deny what ?

Comment

Could you name that horrible country of yours where people feel the need to hide their innuendo?
                      Huh? Who said anything about a specific country?
                      As for hiding innuendo, that's what it is: "an indirect intimation about a person or thing, especially of a disparaging or a derogatory nature"
                      The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

To deny what?
                      Acting like Beavis and Butthead: (Heh heh heh heh. He said, "Boobs." Heh heh heh.)

Comment

Working...
                      X