Debian's Anti-Harassment Team Is Removing A Package Over Its Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Debian Community,

Please stop this madness while you still can.

regards,
    a very worried developer

Comment

Not all that surprising that the response in this forum is "this is madness".

I submit that it is the small actions like this that enforce the community guidelines that make the place better.

I also see that the stawmen are already being erected (non compliant political views, really lowflyer) and the "exodus" of people finding a new distro, except that they won't because it's all too hard and requires more effort than being a keyboard warrior...

Comment

Weboob seems to be available in stable and testing, but I swear I will change distribution when they blacklist it. There should be Weboob watch now

Comment

debian, that smells for sure like freedom of choice. there's the choice of NOT downloading/using the damn package, but nah, it's better to just make everyone's choice for them. nice debian.
          let's wait for the ppl who'll say that this is no big deal, and that if we dont like this we can always create our own thing or package this ourselves.

Comment

aptitude search boob
            p liboobs-1-5 - GObject based interface to system-tools-backends -
            p liboobs-1-5:i386 - GObject based interface to system-tools-backends -
            p liboobs-1-5-dbg - GObject based interface to system-tools-backends -
            p liboobs-1-5-dbg:i386 - GObject based interface to system-tools-backends -
            p liboobs-1-dev - GObject based interface to system-tools-backends -
            p liboobs-1-dev:i386 - GObject based interface to system-tools-backends -
            p python-weboob - Weboob, Web Out Of Browsers - library
            p python-weboob-core - transitional dummy package
            v python2.7-weboob -
            p weboob - CLI applications to interact with websites
            p weboob-qt - Qt applications to interact with websites

Next in line: liboobs. It clearly has to go, and please don't tell me it stands for lib-oobs

Comment

That reminded me I have to email Qt Company that they have to remove Qt Automotive Suite as the abbreviation QtAS is pronounced in Polish as "cootas" which means just "dick". Microaggression is flooding me...

No, not really...

Comment

I tought it would be about 'sextractor' or 'python-nosexcover' packages, but it is about boob, not a pair... just one

I see that there is also 'golang-github-gosexy-gettext-dev" package
                Last edited by dungeon; 20 December 2018, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                  Not all that surprising that the response in this forum is "this is madness".

I submit that it is the small actions like this that enforce the community guidelines that make the place better.

I also see that the stawmen are already being erected (non compliant political views, really lowflyer) and the "exodus" of people finding a new distro, except that they won't because it's all too hard and requires more effort than being a keyboard warrior...
                  Well it is hard because Debian was so good, so I have to chose from second grade distributions. I also maintain almost 10 comps with Debian, so there is a lot of work.

But that must be done because I can't tolerate this new policy of blacklisting software because of political views. First of all it enforces narrow mindedness. It also disrespects the work of developers and acts as a means to censorship. There is a program called "fortune", which does have many "offensive" fortunes, which has been made a different package "fortunes-offensive" or something like that. Those fortunes are part of the history, and the next logical step would be to remove "fortunes-offensive". I have found "fortunes-offensive" to be a good source of daily aphorisms. I don't believe in censorship. I believe in education and I have faith on humanism without censorship. To accept censorship is like giving up humanism.
                  Last edited by moilami; 20 December 2018, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Social justice poisons everything. It's time to stop.

Comment

How is the word "boob" offensive? It's just another word for a human body part.
                      Childish? sure, but I can't see how it can be offensive.

Comment

Working...
                      X