No announcement yet.

Debian's Anti-Harassment Team Is Removing A Package Over Its Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... Ignoring the name... What about people who were actually using it for serious purposes? Are they just basically "fucked", to use another word they probably wouldn't like?

I personally have never noticed it's presence in my searching of the Debian repos. Or perhaps I did, giggled, and went about my work. But what if I HAD discovered it, used it, and now get told it's being removed over it's bloody name? I've had packages go AWOL before, but usually because development has stopped. How angry would you be if you had to spend hours finding, researching and replacing this because some politically correct arsehole doesn't like it's bloody name.

Comment

Originally posted by BeardedGNUFreak View Post
      And you Linux kiddies all laughed with glee when people from FreeBSD tried to warn you over and over again that the SJW/Feminist nutcases were coming for Linux next and claimed Linus would always be there to protect you from these lunatics...

It was only a couple of days after the toxic SJW CoC was rammed down the Linux community's throats before the ideological attacks started against core developers of the project.

And it is only been a few months and we already have vile ideological thought police bureaucracies running rampant.

Welcome to Slow Rot.

This sickening garbage won't cause Linux to crash and burn quickly.

Instead it will result in slow rot. Resources will increasingly be diverted away by the ideological crazies to their ever expanding bureaucracies and staff. More and more talented developers just give up and no longer bother contributing. Anyone from the Linux community is attacked as alt-right or other such drivel.

The Linux community had years to put safeguards in place to prevent this SJW takeover of the project. You guys did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

A hard fork is the only thing that will save Linux. Once the SJW camel's nose is under the tent there is no getting rid of them. They are like locust and will suck the project dry and then move on to the next. The thought police and ideological enforcement bureaucracies will keep expanding and find new things to choose to be 'offended by' and the staff of toxic SJW will keep growing.
      This is the kind of stuff i am expecting. Based on my experience with militants. Militants do not improve. They work on some confirmation bias that make them worse with age. When they win, they feel empowered to annoy even more their world. When they lose they see it as a proof that the others are evil and need to be fought harder. So they never stop. I know 70 years old Marxist Leninist folks who still believe they are in the 1960's and try to parasitize every form of discontent because they see it as a part of "the struggle" they are fascinated with. Nothing to expect from such a demography.

But the problem is with the people who allow that. Why do they think it is a good idea to comply with militant demands. Aforementioned militants are probably a very small bunch. Noisy but small.

It is a bit like what happens to a neighbourhood when the problematic people come in. Slowly the smart ones are going to be irritated by such puritanism and contribute less, leave or simple not bother joining. the dumb ones will see it as a favourable ground and start to join and irritate the smart ones even more. And when the disgusted have quit you are left with the disgusting.

Does Linux need world domination ? Does it need to cater for the idiotic corporate types ? Do they need to be idiot-inclusive to the point they will effectively look like idiots ? It was already massive.

I would not bet on a change in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

You have like 100 posts on here and most of them are whining about SJW, CoC, Outreachy, etc. It seems you also like to use the phrase Linux kiddies. And you want me/us to take you seriously? Thanks for the laugh.
        The reason we are whining about SJWs, CocKs and Outreachy is because they exist? Until 4/5 years ago - when the world was still partially sane and nobody could even immagine the level of stupidity that the human race would have reached - there was no discussion whatsoever about Genders (there are only 2 BTW) or discrimination of any kind.
        Fast forward a couple of years and you have #GamerGate opening the season of the idiots pushing CENSORSHIP and thought policing everywhere.

I will not be happy until the last CoC and Outreachy program has been terminated, and rationality will be restored.

Comment

Originally posted by teresaejunior View Post

No need for despair. They tried to start a shitstorm with Linus a few weeks ago, but when he came back to the project, he showed again that he is a very level-headed man.
          This is about a debian package, not the Linux kernel.

Besides, maybe there were OTHER forms of political nonsense in their choice of packages. Maybe i simply wasn't aware of it. This one is very easy to understand.

Comment

These anti "harassment" people should start to work at review and complaint sites. They can probably block everyone because 99% of those sites is real harassment, unlike weboobs. Did anyone already made the joke his assment?
            Anyway, if you care about the "harassing nature" of weboob, please do society good by starting with review and complaints sites... Because that's a real cesspool.
            Next thing all complaints about systemd will be silenced....

Comment

I think there's something those defending the removal should be reminded of...
              "First they came for..."

You might not think this is important. Maybe you're not childish enough to name a project something like this, so you ignore it.
              But next week, they come for packages with "trans" in their name. You ignore it because none of your scripts or utilities reference that type of package directly.
              Then they go after the packages that support Christianity... You ignore that because you're an atheist.
              Then they come for Apache, because it's cultural appropriation or some such bollocks. Now we have a situation - Debian no longer contains Apache security fixes because the name is deemed "bad" by the perpetually offended.

The above my seem far fetched. And honestly I hope it is. But no one could have predicted the gassing of millions of Jews either.

Comment

Well here I belived it was due to the Weboob name, and it was all due to the comments in the program, I don't like SJW's but they seem to be the counter balance to the far-right, so i say get rid of both and we have the sane people left. And still there is no need to use swear words in the comments in the program, just seem unproffesional, and at least keep it funny, with satire or irony. Comments should be either to the point or funny. Boring to read otherwise.

Kind regards

Comment

Originally posted by Pyth0n View Post
                  When diet soy latte hits you too hard...

What next? I fear what connotatnions "androguard" could have... Or "assword". I wonder, why they not yet banned all daemons for promoting satanism... Or "barman" for promoting alcohol.
                  You think this is a joke, but in fact, FreeBSD changed its logo from the classic beastie mascot to the current sphere or whatever just because of stupid christian whining.

Comment

Are you sure it was the Christians ? That kind of whining seems to be overly common these times. Real question.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post
                      Are you sure it was the Christians ? That kind of whining seems to be overly common these times. Real question.
                      Yup some bible touting christians didn't like the bootlogo, go read the logs from 2011. Seems to be a bit similar With the SJW's now. Just different theme...

KR
                      B.
                      Last edited by Brutalix; 20 December 2018, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X