No announcement yet.

Adobe Customer Care: There Hasn't Been Enough Demand For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This report lists the market share of the top operating systems in use, like Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Linux.

Total Share:
    Windows 87.92%
    Mac OS 9.46%
    Linux 2.03%
    Chrome OS 0.31%
    Unknown 0.28%
    BSD 0.00%
    Breakdown by version
    Windows 7 41.41%
    Windows 10 35.85%
    Windows 8.1 5.17%
    Mac OS X 10.13 4.87%
    Windows XP 4.11%
    Mac OS X 10.12 1.78%
    Linux 1.40%
    Mac OS X 10.11 1.14%
    Windows 8 1.07%
    Mac OS X 10.10 0.66%
    Mac OS X 10.14 0.61%
    Ubuntu 0.59%
    Chrome OS 0.31%
    Windows Vista 0.29%
    Unknown 0.28%
    Mac OS X 10.9 0.22%
    Mac OS X 10.6 0.07%
    Mac OS X 10.8 0.05%
    Mac OS X 10.7 0.05%
    Fedora 0.04%
    Windows 2000 0.01%
    Mac OS X 10.5 0.01%
    Windows NT 0.01%
    Mac OS X 0.00%
    FreeBSD 0.00%
    Debian 0.00%
    Mac OS X 1094 0.00%
    Mac OS X 10.4 0.00%
    Mac OS X App 0.00%
    OpenBSD 0.00%

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
      I just wan't to make my personal port of Acrobat 9. Screw everyone else
      You'll need to pay more than 1k bucks for that.

Comment

I only use Acrobat Pro for manipulating PDF's, wouldn't need the rest of creative suite. For anyone like me, if you are looking for a good Acrobat-type GNU/Linux PDF editor and manipulator, check out the free version of Master PDF Editor: https://code-industry.net/free-pdf-editor/. It's not as good at batch processing of thousands of documents at a time, but for individual document handling it's got nearly all the tools you'll find on Acrobat. One of the really nice aspects is it has a much more intuitive built-in OCR function than most other GNU/Linux PDF apps.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Not enough demand? That's weird considering some big studios use Linux.
          When you answer this question you find something that should worry Adobe.

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          Not in their graphic design departments.
          This is not true. Something else is going on.

If you split the studio by animation vs non animation you will see something of worry for Adobe.

Its the high animation studios that are dominated by Linux. And I mean dominated this include the graphic departments.

Why would you have your staff use "Linux version of Premiere" when your staff are trained on blender.
          For a long time I used Ubuntu as my primary operating system for both personal and business purposes, and it was very good to me throughout the years that I used it. Nearly everything I was ever able to do on a Windows machine was not only possible in Ubuntu, but it was often easier, better and more stable. This includes

Yes blender is a 3d editor. Its grown 2d cartoon support and it goes on to include video editor. So you have a render farm setup for blender you can off load rendering of special transitions and the like from the blender video editor to that.

Its a surprise to most people that in video editing blender and premiere have close to the same feature set. Of course blender interface is kind of unique this is why animation studios don't have as much problem with it because there staff are using it for many other things.

Blender has the performance advantage for transitions and the like in animation studios that have render farm set up. Now you are working on a solo workstation for video editing Premiere has had the performance advantage changes in blender 2.80 might see this change.

Basically this comes down to a question why have two tools when one will do the job. It quite possible that it will be impossible for Adobe to sell their products to the big animation studios.

Yes the heavy usage by animation studios makes blender one of the most stable video editors on Linux.

A friendship with a top-secret robot turns a lonely girl’s life into a thrilling adventure as they take on bullies, evil bots, and a scheming madman. Next Gen, a Netflix Film, launches Sept 7.

From time to time particular animation studios admit that their complete movie production these days is basically 1 program blender. That you modelling, Texturing,video editing, Poster, Marketing images, toys.... The only things they need extra other than blender is a office suite like libreoffice and something good for audio effects work.

Please note this is animation work flow. When you get into live action and you are dealing with camera and microphones with proprietary codecs Adobe Premiere can start seaming good.

There is a market that is fairly much won blender for good. Blender market the biggest Linux user in the movie production field.

So adobe could be right that there is no market for "Linux version of Premiere". The risk as animation studios do more hybrid live action stuff blender could be improved for live action work resulting in Premiere being made redundant. Adobe is taking a hell of a risk waiting until Linux market share is big enough. Linux market share in video production is already big enough to keep blender increasing in features.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
            I read that as "no big names asked for it, so it won't happen lol. Did you really, really think you, a no-name end-user, had a voice?"
            Sounds like Adobe, yeah.

which costs money which they don't believe they'll recoup because, deep down, they believe Linux users are freeloaders.
            It's technically not wrong though.

Linux on consumer PCs is rarely if ever paid for, none of the software used from a distro is ever paid either.

Although as said above the main issue with that isn't the freeloaders (I mean, I've never seen a person pay for Adobe software even on Windows), but the corporate use (as companies usually buy the licenses).

If Linux gets some kind of foot hold in corporate and they start asking for that, it might happen, as that's the structure of their businness.

Comment

Affinity has competitors to adobe software that dosen't require a subscription and costs way less: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/

Unfortunately no linux version and they say they aren't going to make linux versions

Comment

Which Linux distro out of 300 should Adobe port its products to?

You say it's distro X but I use distro Y!

You say flatpak/snappy/AppImage but but my distro doesn't support it.

If I were Adobe I wouldn't touch Linux with a tent pole.

Figure out a universal distribution method and a set of stable supported APIs, properly implement required APIs like video decoding acceleration then ask again.

There's no Linux. There's a fucking constant mess.

Comment

Adobe once again loosing connection. With their stubborness they stay in their niche. Once again.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
                    If that isn't enough, you still have the driver state, the package managers, the wildly different distributions...

Yeah, i think i can understand why Adobe would be hesitant to support linux.
                    Yeah... Poor wee Adobe of course cannot be expected to create binaries for Linux... They couldn't hope to do what the big, powerful, redundantly staffed krita organization manages.

Comment

I was running Adobe Experience Manager on Linux :P

Comment

Working...
                      X