• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UseLinuxNotWindows View Post
    (or whatever they end up calling it),
    MS Edgy Chromium: Edgelord edition

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

If Chromium was a legitimate open project or standard it would be fine. But it isn't - its holistically Google controlled, with contributors signing over copyright to Google via CLA and changes requiring a signoff by Google employees....
      Yeah, alot of people are missing that fact... just read some of the other comments.

Comment

Forget about Edge, what is happening with Chakra JS engine of M$?

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post

Where do you get that idea? Chromium is BSD licensed. Which means you can pretty much do whatever you want with it.

Parts of Chromium are licensed under the LGPL, but everything from Google is BSD licensed.

All in all Microsoft developing on top of the open source (AND PERMISSIVELY LICENSED) Chromium is far better than them developing their own proprietary solution.

It's strange how a Linux forum can be so negative towards FOSS behemoths like Chromium, when Linux itself is a FOSS behemoth. The largest of them all.
          Do you wonder about this? I do not understand, Chromium is an open source project in all respects, it is absurd to read users against Chromium just because it is a project sponsored by Google. For years, we have asked open source projects, we can not say no good because they are a project sponsored by a company that we do not like! Did you prefer Google to act like Microsoft at the time of IE proprietary software? So there was no choice, FF for Linux and IE for Windows was better? I do not believe ! I agree with you Hrkristian!

Comment

For those who don't know Edge is already on Android and iOS. In a way, it makes sense for Microsoft to standardize on one backend.

Comment

You, the single user/developer, have no say in what Mozilla, Google, or MS do with their browsers. Get over it. All these companies care is money, plain and simple. And the way they get that is by selling you.

I watch post after post where people naively believes Mozilla is a champion of freedom, "the last person standing", etc etc, without even reading their terms of service, or the default configs on their browser.

And they (Mozilla) don't give a crap about the needs of you, the Linux user. Wayland support? Hardware video acceleration? Nah, we are too busy changing the look of Firefox, removing features, abandoning Thunderbird or harassing our CEO. Now excuse us while we try to spend all the millions Google pay us in important things like Rust, FirefoxOS or whatever project that didn't get in the way of Chrome wiping the floor with us.
              Last edited by M@GOid; 06 December 2018, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                Do you wonder about this? I do not understand, Chromium is an open source project in all respects, it is absurd to read users against Chromium just because it is a project sponsored by Google. For years, we have asked open source projects, we can not say no good because they are a project sponsored by a company that we do not like! Did you prefer Google to act like Microsoft at the time of IE proprietary software? So there was no choice, FF for Linux and IE for Windows was better? I do not believe ! I agree with you Hrkristian!
                You're confusing open source with open choice. As I mentioned earlier just because a project is open source doesn't mean it is run by some benevolent entity that is concerned with the freedom of the web. In this case, Chromium is run by Google - and was created specifically as a method to fuel it's ad revenue engine. There is nothing illegal or nefarious about that - but just understand that Google is sponsoring Chromium to enhance it's revenue stream - and it isn't going to allow anything in Chromium to interfere with that. Mozilla on the other hand is a not for profit corporation whose purpose is ensure the internet is global public resource, open and accessible to all.

Comment

I wonder what this means for NodeJS ChakuraCore (NodeJS built on Microsoft's ChakuraJS engine).

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post

You're confusing open source with open choice. As I mentioned earlier just because a project is open source doesn't mean it is run by some benevolent entity that is concerned with the freedom of the web. In this case, Chromium is run by Google - and was created specifically as a method to fuel it's ad revenue engine. There is nothing illegal or nefarious about that - but just understand that Google is sponsoring Chromium to enhance it's revenue stream - and it isn't going to allow anything in Chromium to interfere with that. Mozilla on the other hand is a not for profit corporation whose purpose is ensure the internet is global public resource, open and accessible to all.
                    I know very well the difference between free and open source software, many projects accepted in Gnu / Linux are open source, Chromium is not the only one, Ubuntu self-defines open source and most of the community of Gnu / Linux accepts open source projects, this I see only grudge with Chromium.
                    Last edited by Charlie68; 06 December 2018, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                      Forget about Edge, what is happening with Chakra JS engine of M$?
                      Isn't it already on GitHub? The ChakraCore project has been there for a while. Someone even got node running on it.

I doubt they'll spend much effort in maintaining it if the drop Edge, but people can maintain it if they want it.
                      ChakraCore is the core part of the Chakra JavaScript engine that powers Microsoft Edge - Microsoft/ChakraCore

Comment

Working...
                      X