Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    I'm surprised MS didn't open source Edge however it's probably so tied to Windows it would be of no use elsewhere, wake me up when they open source Windows.

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by microcode View Post
    Honestly, Mozilla has neglected Gecko for about a decade. It is riddled with bugs, especially around SVG, and is a pain in the ass to develop for. I really hope they hire some more actual technical staff who are willing to do the tough but necessary work of making Gecko not a steaming heap of shit; because it will soon be the only alternative browser engine left in the game.
    What is what Quantum based on Servo is doing by gradually dropping nearly two decades years old codes.

Leave a comment:

• lowflyer
    replied
    "Microsoft has meaningfully increased participation in the open source software (OSS) community, becoming one of the world’s largest supporters of OSS projects. Today we’re announcing that we intend to adopt the Chromium open source project in the development of Microsoft Edge on the desktop to create better web compatibility for our customers and less fragmentation of the web for all web developers,"
    "...becoming one of the world's largest supporters of OSS projects" !!!

Be aware of the trojan horse! Here you have it black on white, microsoft is only into OSS as long as they are able to use it for their own purposes.

Leave a comment:

• brrrrttttt
    replied
    This is very bad for Firefox. Already some websites only work 100% on Chrome, and this will very likely make it much worse.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Yeah. Let's call it the last person standing. Don't be sexist
    Ahem, the term is 'Ze'. You racist KKK Nazi bigot islamophobe.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Honestly, Mozilla has neglected Gecko for about a decade. It is riddled with bugs, especially around SVG, and is a pain in the ass to develop for. I really hope they hire some more actual technical staff who are willing to do the tough but necessary work of making Gecko not a steaming heap of shit; because it will soon be the only alternative browser engine left in the game.

I certainly can't use Firefox on a day-to-day basis, and it makes building websites harder.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
    It is a very bad news indeed. To those who don't get why as one open-source seems better than one open and one closed engine, the problem here is monopoly.
    Remember that in our world based on profits, we won't do anything if it is not profitable. So if I can support 90% of my visitors by testing only one engine, why would I bother test the others? So I will start developing website not the way the norm tells me to do, but the way blink supports it. **A chromium monopoly means the end of the W3C standards** and with them, the end of the free Web. This is one of the worst news of the year.
    Not really. A Chromium monopoly does not mean the "end" of W3C standards, it just means that Chromium standards will be the new W3C standards... That's not necessarily a bad thing...

Either way, if it is open source on a proper licence and you can use it anywhere, why does it matter?

Leave a comment:

• moriel5
    replied
    i had thought that Edge was already partially based upon Chromium?
    Back when I was an insider (thanks to Realtek's horrid WiFi drivers, I had moved to Linux), I remember that Edge, back at the first public version of Windows 10, as well as slightly before, Edge's versions tracked Chromium versions (with an ever lengthening gap).

Leave a comment:

• jpg44
    replied
    Originally posted by zanny View Post

If Chromium was a legitimate open project or standard it would be fine. But it isn't - its holistically Google controlled, with contributors signing over copyright to Google via CLA and changes requiring a signoff by Google employees.

We are absolutely living in a time where Google determines what the Internet is, not any standards organization or consortium of disparate interests. We already lived through Microsoft determining what the Internet was and it was a dark age. The only difference that for Microsoft the Internet was competition to their software products in the early 00s - so crippling it via IE was practical. For Google their products are all online, so it isn't their prerogative to cripple the Internet but cripple the non-Google Internet. Which, because its much less apparent its harm, can be much more heinous with greater long term ramifications from its damage.
    This isnt quite true, anyone can fork chromium and make their own browser using its code. Only to get code into Google's official release do you have to sign anything

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by gbcox View Post

You need to re-read my comment. You're completely missing the point.
    I understand very well the point, Microsoft's browser will be based on an open source engine instead of being a proprietary engine, for me it's a half-win. I understand your speech that this decreases the choice, but it was still a choice between a proprietary software and an open source, no one will miss it. It would be different if this happened with Firefox, because at Chromium the only alternative is Firefox, nothing has changed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X