X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Frett
    replied
    Originally posted by c117152 View Post

One thing that comes to mind is Paint.NET. But I'm sure there dozens of little C++ tools that never got ported over such issues.
    Pinta is Paint.NET. =)

Leave a comment:

• ryad
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Java on the desktop is pretty much dead and has always been, if C# takes its place no one will notice.
    You have never developed with IntelliJ it seems

Leave a comment:

• UseLinuxNotWindows
    replied
    As WPF is now OPEN SOURCE, would it not be possible to take their code, fork it (it is on Github after all) and produce a WPF implementation that IS cross platform?

Leave a comment:

• GreenByte
    replied
    Originally posted by ryao View Post

it is not:

“We also do not intend to accept contributions that provide cross-platform implementations for Windows Forms or WPF.”

".... Such as Windows registry". UI is NOT an OS specific feature and a sentence before they said they welcome any cross-platform improving patches, it's just not full ports of something so core part of any OS.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied

it is not:

“We also do not intend to accept contributions that provide cross-platform implementations for Windows Forms or WPF.”

It could still be a step toward that if someone chooses to maintain a downstream fork, so saying "it is not" is a little premature.

Leave a comment:

• mzs.112000
    replied
    Originally posted by c117152 View Post

One thing that comes to mind is Paint.NET. But I'm sure there dozens of little C++ tools that never got ported over such issues.

MyPaint and Pinta do almost anything that Paint.NET does though.

Leave a comment:

• mzs.112000
    replied

Their Linux contributions are solely to enable them to get Linux software running on top of their platform be it Azure or the NT kernel. They have zero interest in switching to Linux and this is just another iteration of Embrace, Extend and Extinguish. We are in the Embrace stage at the moment.
    We are either at the tail end of their Embrace stage or the beginning of the Extend stage, or both...
    Microsoft is putting out .NET as open-source and releasing .NET Core for Linux, along with VS Code.

This is exactly what we feared years ago(At least, it's what I feared years ago), that Microsoft was going to suddenly turn around and "embrace" FOSS, and Linux, but infiltrate it and destroy it from the inside out(imagine if they were to get Microsoft-built modules inside the Linux kernel, and come up with a way to compile the Linux kernel with VS Code or the like...) Microsoft could come up with a licence clause that essentially would allow them to own Linux kernel development. .NET Core is just as bad, since Microsoft could take over userspace programs with it.

This is why we *need* to keep working towards the goal of getting Linux adopted by more people, without any Microsoft stuff being thrown into the mix....

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    I predicted this would happen... I was naysayed but I called it. Basically here's the deal: Microsoft needs to be thought of not as a monolithic entity but as a half dozen or so different silos that and the Developers and Tools Division is very on board with open source. However they didn't have control of WPF or WinForms to be able to release them Windows Division did which is/was hostile to open source. So they had to be shown it works, and lobbied by Developers and Tools, and so here we have them finally testing the waters. Give it a year or two and we'll probably see some more code drops from them.

Leave a comment:

• c117152
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Is it useful for anything on Linux?

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Is it useful for anything on Linux?
    Presumably for Wine?
    Or to facilitate porting Windows apps to Linux?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X